Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Ten Year Old Child Diagnosed With Leukemia (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/ten-year-old-child-diagnosed-leukemia-t105601.html)

juneayerza 03-06-2011 07:25 PM

I am an instructor at our community college. Just before Christmas, one of my student’s ten- year-old daughter was diagnosed with leukemia. This child and her family have a very long road ahead of them to try to save this child’s life. She spends a great deal of time in the hospital since she has severe reactions to the chemo.

I want to use the paper doll and paper doll clothes fabric to make her something she can play with during the times she has to spend in bed at the hospital.

I have seen a couple of posts with this fabric, but I need some ideas on how to make this easy to play with in bed. I thought even a smaller quilt would be too big and that making some individual “doll squares” might work better. I do not have children and have never made anything for a child before, so I need ideas from this wonderful board.

One question I need answered is about the doll clothes. I know you back them with flannel so they will “stick” to the doll, but how do you finish the edges so they do not fray? I thought about using fray check, however, I want them to not only be stable but to look good too.

Any suggestion would be most welcome.

cherylynne 03-06-2011 07:32 PM

There is one of the paper doll quilts on display at my LQS. The piecer said that she bonded the clothes to felt and then used a spray on adhesive (505) that stays sticky for attaching the clothes to the doll bodies. I assume that she used something stiff like heavy heat n bond since there was no sewing involved to bond the clothes to the felt. This would stop fraying, too.

pocoellie 03-06-2011 07:35 PM

Moda has/had a free pattern for "flat dolls" Flat Emelie and Matt, along with a little "bag" for them. PM me if you can't find it.

ssnare 03-06-2011 07:47 PM

I tried to donate a cloth doll to a children's cancer treatment center and they would not take it due to children's low immunity response when taking chemo. You might check with the hospital children's unit first and see what they will allow.

dakotamaid 03-06-2011 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by ssnare
I tried to donate a cloth doll to a children's cancer treatment center and they would not take it due to children's low immunity response when taking chemo. You might check with the hospital children's unit first and see what they will allow.

This is good advice. The neo natal unit I have donated to in the past asked for no glues, no paint, no adhesive of any kind including stabilizers. Only fabric and thread plus cotton batting. I follow this for all quilts I donate for kids or babies.

If in doubt always ask! :):)

jemma 03-06-2011 08:53 PM

i would stay away from all glues etc people on chemo become more sensitive ---------you can't beat a soft light colourfull small quilt something to cuddle --for all ages works well

sunflower126 03-07-2011 05:13 AM

Maybe you could make an I Spy quilt for her to use at the hospital. Make a list of the things she could search for when playing alone. My grandkids loved theirs.

sewmuchmore 03-07-2011 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by sunflower126
Maybe you could make an I Spy quilt for her to use at the hospital. Make a list of the things she could search for when playing alone. My grandkids loved theirs.

This is an excellent ideal, you get so cold when taking chemo. A a game quilt would be perfect it could have pockets where you could hide things in them. :P