Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Tension issue with LA (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/tension-issue-la-t112093.html)

quilt'nmomma 03-30-2011 02:30 PM

I'm having tension issue with the bobbin. About 1 or 2 times in a row I will have a spot where the tension is loose on the bobbine. I'm wondering what could cause this? It's wierd. I've adjusted the tension and I'm still having the problem. I called my repair guy and he can't get back with me until tomorrow. Could it be the way the bobbin is wound?

MTS 03-30-2011 02:33 PM

BWAHHAHAHHA!
I read the title and thought you were having a difficult time with your longarmer. ;-)

So not that.

I hope you get your machine back in working order soon. :D :D

TonnieLoree 03-30-2011 02:59 PM

Sometimes a metal bobbin will become "out of round", meaning it is worn out. I learned this from industrial sewing. If it is a plastic, the same is true. I would try winding a completely different bobbin using the thread from the bobbin in question so as to not to waste it. Do you have a bobbin in a case? If so, un-screw it and check for lint hang ups in there. When tightening back up, hold the tail of the thread and lightly shake it like you would a yo-yo. The case should not free fall. If it does, then it is too loose and will need to be tightened. Remember to only tighten 1/4 of a turn at a time. One more test is to yank on the thread. If it back-lashes then it is still too loose. It could be that you bobbin case is worn out. A temporary fix for that is to place just a tiny, tiny bit (small raindrop; not even as big as a head on a match stick)of vaseline on the side of the bobbin that goes into the case. This will provide temporary resistance until you can get a replacement case.

I hope I explained it good enough for you. If you have a drop in bobbin, you can also use the vaseline method.

TonnieLoree 03-30-2011 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by MTS
BWAHHAHAHHA!
I read the title and thought you were having a difficult time with your longarmer. ;-)

So not that.

I hope you get your machine back in working order soon. D :D

I get it. LA: Long Arm and not Lousiana

quilt'nmomma 03-30-2011 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by TonnieLoree
Sometimes a metal bobbin will become "out of round", meaning it is worn out. I learned this from industrial sewing. If it is a plastic, the same is true. I would try winding a completely different bobbin using the thread from the bobbin in question so as to not to waste it. Do you have a bobbin in a case? If so, un-screw it and check for lint hang ups in there. When tightening back up, hold the tail of the thread and lightly shake it like you would a yo-yo. The case should not free fall. If it does, then it is too loose and will need to be tightened. Remember to only tighten 1/4 of a turn at a time. One more test is to yank on the thread. If it back-lashes then it is still too loose. It could be that you bobbin case is worn out. A temporary fix for that is to place just a tiny, tiny bit (small raindrop; not even as big as a head on a match stick)of vaseline on the side of the bobbin that goes into the case. This will provide temporary resistance until you can get a replacement case.

I hope I explained it good enough for you. If you have a drop in bobbin, you can also use the vaseline method.

They are actually all new bobbins and a new case. I might just have to take it in to get serviced.

TonnieLoree 03-30-2011 03:41 PM

Okay then. Try the vaseline though. Seriously