Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Tension issues, any ideas what to try? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/tension-issues-any-ideas-what-try-t218308.html)

MadQuilter 04-05-2013 12:22 PM

Tearing thread could be that you move the machine too fast and the thread just can't keep up (particularly around the curves) OR your needle may be too small. As for the eyelashes, all I know is that if they are on the bottom, then the problem is your upper tension. I wish you success.

OKLAHOMA PEACH 04-05-2013 12:52 PM

Does it have a know on the very top of head? If so try loosening it alittle at a time.

barny 04-05-2013 01:06 PM

OKAY, LISTEN TO ME A LITTLE BIT. I HAVE A KEN-QUILT. HAD A LITTLE TROUBLE BREAKING THREAD. I checked the bobbin over and over. GUESS WHAT The bobbin winder was winding lop-sided. High on one side and low on the other. If it gets over the top or close to the edge of the bobbin, I guarantee you will not sew good. While filling the bobbin, just use your finger and make sure it is filling level. Fixed!

Candace 04-05-2013 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by PJisChaos (Post 5980158)
Oh no, on this machine, the needle will not go all the way down if the presser foot is not down. It sits above the bed about 1/8th of an inch when down. The reason for this is because the presser foot does not bounce or move in any way while sewing and there are no feed dogs. If the presser foot is lowered to the bed, the machine will not move freely over the sandwich with it down. It is high-shank and I have no other feet for it so have to use what she had on it. She had it set higher up than the 1/8th inch but it didn't seem right to have it 1/2 inch off the quilt sandwich like she did. I have never seen a foot like this one so wasn't sure it was actually a proper foot! LoL

The machine should be set to it's factory specs. to perform at its best Any vintage Singer machine I've worked on has a service manual available with specs in it that tell you the proper height of the foot off the bed, etc. Of course, it may be very hard to find this for an industrial.

ube quilting 04-05-2013 01:22 PM

RE: paperprinces @ post # 3: I used the information from this great video a while ago on my Bernina and other machines. It helped the stitching on every machine. I thought my stitching was good before but, wow, what a difference this info made.

So, IMHO, I think trying these steps on any machine may make a difference. It certainly can't hurt.

Here's to great stitching!
peace

PJisChaos 04-05-2013 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by barny (Post 5980293)
OKAY, LISTEN TO ME A LITTLE BIT. I HAVE A KEN-QUILT. HAD A LITTLE TROUBLE BREAKING THREAD. I checked the bobbin over and over. GUESS WHAT The bobbin winder was winding lop-sided. High on one side and low on the other. If it gets over the top or close to the edge of the bobbin, I guarantee you will not sew good. While filling the bobbin, just use your finger and make sure it is filling level. Fixed!

I mentioned that earlier, the bobbin winds lop-sided for me too. I have been playing with the adjustment on the winder to get it more even and have noticed an improvement with each adjustment so, it's getting there. I hadn't even thought to mention the bobbin to begin with as I didn't think that mattered as long as it was sewing. LoL! I am learning that everything matters though.

Scissor Queen 04-05-2013 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by PJisChaos (Post 5980158)
Oh no, on this machine, the needle will not go all the way down if the presser foot is not down. It sits above the bed about 1/8th of an inch when down. The reason for this is because the presser foot does not bounce or move in any way while sewing and there are no feed dogs. If the presser foot is lowered to the bed, the machine will not move freely over the sandwich with it down. It is high-shank and I have no other feet for it so have to use what she had on it. She had it set higher up than the 1/8th inch but it didn't seem right to have it 1/2 inch off the quilt sandwich like she did. I have never seen a foot like this one so wasn't sure it was actually a proper foot! LoL

Where the foot sets is irrelevant. If that lever is not down you are not engaging the tension disks. The heighth adjustment of the foot from the bed is a separate issue.

Geri B 04-05-2013 03:37 PM

Also, have you oiled the head? ..and the bobbin race? And cleaned out that bobbin area well? I think you have done the threading correctly and your tension sounds good...just try slowing down a bit when you are guiding the machine...you may be going to fast as mentioned previously...and yes, when your pressure foot is down you should be able to slide a dime under it.....just barely. Good luck in this venture

miriam 04-07-2013 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen (Post 5980126)
To me it looks like you're not putting the presser foot down.

Exactly what I was thinking. AND always adjust your tension with the foot in the down position.

sosew4fun 04-07-2013 03:39 AM

Be sure you have the presser foot UP when threading the upper thread. This allows the thread to got thru the
tensioners correctly. I have a mid-arm quilter and it does the same thing if I forget that little detail.