Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Tension setting for Juki TL-2010Q (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/tension-setting-juki-tl-2010q-t200104.html)

tropicslady 09-10-2012 08:09 AM

Tension setting for Juki TL-2010Q

Hi all, I have fmq'd one quilt with my new juki 2010, and have just loaded a second quilt onto the frame. I did not like the way the bobbin thread was coming up onto the quilt top so my DH started turning the tension dial. Now, it is a real hot mess. I have spent two days fiddling with the tension setting and still have not gotten it to the perfection it was.

Any pointers on what number you have your tension set? I am spending a lot of time frogging this quilt.

Any help appreciated!

cheriami 09-10-2012 09:40 AM

My machine is the older version TL-98Q, but maybe this will give you a place to start. My needle tension is just over 2 with the pressure foot down. Just over 3 with the pressure foot up. My manual says if the bobbin thread is showing on the top the thread tension is to high. I would also unthread and re thread the entire machine including the bobbin. Mine likes to pop partially out :(

pollyjvan9 09-10-2012 10:08 AM

I also have the TL98Q. My tension is just over 2 with the pressure foot up and just under 2 with the pressure foot down. This seems to be the magic number for almost everything. Sometimes I move it down to the 1 1/2 with foot down if the quilt is very heavy.

gotta-sew 09-10-2012 10:50 AM

I don't know if you have ever adjusted the bobbin tension or not. If never then just adjust the top tension, reduce the tension some. Sew a little how does it look? When the top tension is too loose, you will see spoking on the underside * sorta like that. Then you know you need to tighten the tension some. If you have adjusted the bobbin tension before, then tighten it a little, really just a bare touch at a time. Now check again. Once you feel like the bottom tension is correct (like if you have never adjusted yor bobbin case tension, It is probably ok.) Just work with the top tension. Oh and one more thing. Check under the tension spring on your bobbin case, lint can build up under there and throw off your tension. The most eintsy bit can reek havic.

Jingle 09-10-2012 06:26 PM

Make up a quilt sandwich and use that to quilt on to see if the tension is right. Sometimes it just happens no mattter how you mess with the tension, clean, oil, whatever.
Welcome to this great board from Missouri.

tropicslady 09-11-2012 02:57 AM

Thanks all....I finally got it adjusted....also I saw a nifty post about having the pressure foot in the down position when adjusting the tension...now I'm just quilting along! This machine is new to me so I haven't gotten to know it yet, i.e. what it likes and what it doesn't like, but I sure am loving it so far. It is so very different that my computerized Pfaff!

Thanks again....