Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Terrible mistake- [Update] - All Fixed - See Post #97 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/terrible-mistake-%5Bupdate%5D-all-fixed-see-post-97-a-t228645.html)

vivnme 08-24-2013 06:58 AM

Terrible mistake- [Update] - All Fixed - See Post #97

2 Attachment(s)
OK, I made this quilt from scraps for a Quilt of Valor donation. I was quite excited that it turned out so well. I pieced it, laid it out, even took a picture of it. Then I quilted it and thought it turned out really nice, that is until I was cutting off the excess material in perpetration to bind it.

Now what do I do? Is there any way to fix this?

BellaBoo 08-24-2013 07:04 AM

My first thought would be to applique something between the two star patches. Something that would connect the two to look like part of the design. A silhouette of an eagle in the red maybe?

quiltsRfun 08-24-2013 07:07 AM

You call it a design decision. That's what makes this quilt unique. :D

maryb119 08-24-2013 07:08 AM

First off...Your quilt is beautiful! It looks like you just turned around 2 sections. If it were mine...I would carefull take out the quilting in just this area, sew the pieces int he right place and then requilt it. It's not as bad as you think. We have all done this. I love your quilt and the design. Don't beat yourself up over this. Just remember...there are never any mistakes in qujilting...only creative adjustments. I'm sure the person recieving this will love it!

PenniF 08-24-2013 07:11 AM

Maryb119 has a great plan - or maybe you could find a poem or phrase about imperfections/uniqueness/and applique it there.

quiltingloulou 08-24-2013 07:12 AM

As a last resort, you could cut down the quilt all round and then add a further border possibly incorporating the stars again. It's really a lovely quilt though. I am sure you could unpick the area as suggested by Mary above. Good luck.

GingerK 08-24-2013 07:15 AM

The person receiving the quilt will probably never notice or think that the pattern was meant to be that way. The real question is: Can you live with the error or will it always bother you? Your answer will tell you what to do.

dunster 08-24-2013 07:28 AM

Personally I would follow maryb's suggestion. I've found it's not half as bad as you would think to pick out quilting. Or you could take a white piece of fabric, embroider something on it that goes with the QOV theme (I know QOV has guidelines on what cannot go on one of their quilts, so you might need to consult with them), turn under the edges and applique it to completely cover the part of the edge that is, shall we say, "different". Then quilt that area again. It is still a beautiful quilt, and you are a very special person to be contributing to QOV.

greensleeves 08-24-2013 07:38 AM

Beautiful quilt. I would do what Maryb suggested. It will take some time but if it was my quilt I would be happier knowing it was done the way it was originally meant to be.

Annaquilts 08-24-2013 07:39 AM

Yes this! It will be worth it.

Originally Posted by maryb119 (Post 6252564)
First off...Your quilt is beautiful! It looks like you just turned around 2 sections. If it were mine...I would carefull take out the quilting in just this area, sew the pieces int he right place and then requilt it. It's not as bad as you think. We have all done this. I love your quilt and the design. Don't beat yourself up over this. Just remember...there are never any mistakes in qujilting...only creative adjustments. I'm sure the person recieving this will love it!