Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Terribly unhappy with embroidery work done for me (pics) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/terribly-unhappy-embroidery-work-done-me-pics-t65272.html)

kay45 09-17-2010 09:17 PM

The real close stippling might make it look better. If the backing isn't on it yet can you take that banner out and put in a new one? I would definetly take it back to the shop that did it and at least get your money back.

noveltyjunkie 09-18-2010 02:45 AM

How much did you pay?

Lacelady 09-18-2010 02:59 AM

I would go with removing the offending banner and appliqueing a slightly larger one over the top. (correction, I would applique the larger one over first, then remove the other, puckered one from the back.

The new one you put over the top could be embroidered first, with correct stabiliser behind it, and the place that did the embroidery should do that for you free of charge. Take them a sufficiently large piece of the green fabric so that they can get it in a hoop, and ask for a replacement.

quiltmaker 09-18-2010 03:09 AM

Oh my...I do machine embroidery with my Pfaff 7570 and believe me I am no expert but manage to do quite nicely.
What they did was terrible and I can't believe they would have returned it to you that way. Not using the correct stabilizer nor hooping correctly seems to be the main cause for the problems created. You should not have paid for this work and made them fix it correctly. I can't imagine any business putting out and expecting payment for this type of work. I am so sorry this happened to you but you need to stand up for yourself and let them know how unhappy you are with their work.

sewnsewer2 09-18-2010 03:22 AM

Looks like they didn't hoop it tight enough and probably didn't iron the fabric 1st either. Looks like they used the wrong stabilizer as well. I always use just one layer of stabilizer and mine never puckers like that.

Is it cotton fabric? I'm so sorry you are not happy, but you probably can quilt it out.

Let us know how it turns out after quilting.

MiniCC 09-18-2010 03:40 AM

Shoulda coulda woulda, you shouldn't have to ask any of this. I would walk into the embroidery store not with the intention of thrashing them, but with questions to see if they see what you see. You know like
"I picked this up the other day got it home and with closer inspection, something doesn't seem right, like these puckers here....i don't embroider at home, but I don't think it should look like this, what do you suggest?"
Ask to speak to the shop owner, i'm sure they wouldn't want this type of work representing the shop. If they don't offer a refund kindly ask them to reimburse you b,c you are going to have to replace the work.
I'm sure they will understand. It's business, not personal to them :)
I'd go with you if you were closer:)

Longarm 09-18-2010 03:40 AM

Good morning,

I am a long arm quilter and I also do some machine embroidery so I think I know what happened to your piece. They did not put stabilizer (or used wrong kind of stabilizer) behind the material and they did not pull the piece straight and smooth in the hoop, that's what caused the wrinkles.

If you pick out the stitches, which is nearly impossible without damaging the fabric because they are so tightly stitched, it will definitely show on the fabric.

I think the place you took it to is used to doing ball caps and other items of that type and not cotton fabrics for quilts, and you use different types of stabilizer for the different items.

My suggested solution, after asking for my money back, is to do some stippling, or even micro stippling in the area around the letters, this may calm the wrinkles and puckers into submission.

Such a cute piece, it's a shame it wasn't embrodered correctly.

Longarm

Longarm 09-18-2010 03:56 AM

Me again.

I have been in the longarm business for over 8 years and have been doing some machine embroidery for over 5 and I don't think either business would have lasted if I had turned out that kind of shoddy work.

THE OWNER DEFINITELY NEEDS TO KNOW ABOUT THIS SHODDY WORKMANSHIP!! IF THE OWNER IS RESPONSIBLE LET HIM/HER KNOW YOU WILL SPREAD THE WORD TO NOT PATRONIZE THE BUSINESS IF THEY DO NOT MAKE THIS RIGHT.

Longarm

farmquilter 09-18-2010 04:52 AM

Go back to the embroidery shop and take a new large piece of fabric to have them do the same phrase using the proper stabilizer and then use that to replace the original in your quilt top.
I would not quilt it until it is 'repaired' with the new fabric piece.

LindaR 09-18-2010 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by Eddie
Wow, it looks like they didn't use any stabilizer under the embroidery! That should have prevented the puckering if they did. At this point, I think I would do some small stippling quilting around the lettering to make it lay flat. So sorry this happened to you!

this is what I was thinking...heres what I would do :roll: I would applique a new slightly bigger banner over the ruined one at least a 1/2" bigger all around and then when it was stitched down and secure I would cut out the old one from the back...more work but worth it I think