Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Testing/Sampling (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/testing-sampling-t311133.html)

bearisgray 05-26-2020 10:59 AM

Testing/Sampling

I know that "testing" before continuing is a good idea.
Examples: markers, glues, fusibles, threads, washing techniques, etc.

I also know that making a test block is a good idea before continuing. The pattern is not always right - or my understanding of the construction is fuzzy.

I also know that more often than not, I am impatient and just go ahead and try something and hope that it works out okay.

How about you?

QuiltingVagabond 05-26-2020 01:31 PM

I have never made a test block. And rarely have an orphan block as a result. I do read the directions until I am sure I understand and check the math to see if it looks right.

quiltingshorttimer 05-26-2020 09:41 PM

Bear---I'm also impatient and need to always make a test block but often don't--sometimes to my regret!

quiltingcandy 05-26-2020 10:20 PM

I very rarely make a sample block, unless I am not sure about the colors involved. But that's because I can be color challenged and just want to make sure they blend the way I want them to blend. Since I don't make really complicated quilts there hasn't been a reason to make a sample in a really long time.

sandy l 05-27-2020 03:05 AM

There have been times that I should have made a test block and didn't, and still don't. But one thing that I don't do any more is to cut all the fabric before hand, Mainly because I have done that and after I have made a couple of blocks I have decided I don't like the pattern, colors choices, etc. that I'm not happy with.

maminstl 05-27-2020 03:55 AM

I like to make a test block if I'm doing something new, or want to see how color values work. I rarely test any of the other stuff, and -knock on wood- have not had a problem. I also rarely cut a whole project at once unless I have a really good reason to do so

Iceblossom 05-27-2020 04:06 AM

I always learn so much when I'm making my projects and believe in a couple of test blocks, or at least, I usually work in scraps and deliberately make a couple more blocks than I need. I like to think and mentally play with my fabrics and rehearse before I start... sometimes the test blocks may be quite awhile before the actual project. Sometimes I find out that I don't want to do what I thought I wanted to do after all...

I'm trying to gear up to do a paper piecing project I want to do, but it is not one of my strong skill sets, so I'm probably going to make another project or two first, that will be if not a test, at least practice for my own project.

My last project was a simple baby quilt, I knew I was going to use snowball blocks to show off a large scale fabric and alternate it with some sort of star. I chose to do a Lemoyne Star and set-in the corners and the side triangles just as practice. I did just fine and I'm better now than I was a couple of months ago, but will still continue to avoid set-in seams as much as possible.

The thing where I found it really pays to do a test project first is in garment construction. I haven't sewn garments for so long I've forgotten, I think I could trust McCalls patterns to fit me but Simplicity always ran large, and Vogue patterns often had details that you should practice first! I don't look noticeably "off" but I have a long torso with relatively short arms and legs, large bust and back then a tiny waist -- nothing ever fit me (bought or made) unless I altered it. Every time I didn't do a test piece first, there were issues. But I never wanted to do the test piece! I now know to buy a sheet at the thrift store for the practice piece, at least you can get the fit right even if it doesn't behave like your real fabric.

Rhonda K 05-27-2020 04:18 AM

I don't make test blocks but will re make a block or change out a piece if needed. The mistake blocks from embroidery machine adventures are turned into mug rugs.

granky 05-27-2020 04:19 AM

I'm a 'jump in head first' sort of person...sometimes to my regret, but there is always a learning curve.....

Doggramma 05-27-2020 05:47 AM

I learned the hard way not to cut everything out without checking for errors first.