Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Thangles or creative grids ruler? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/thangles-creative-grids-ruler-t227268.html)

Ellietow 08-04-2013 01:34 PM

Thangles or creative grids ruler?

Earlier this year I signed up for a block of the month club using Thangles... Lots of half square triangles. I recently purchased a Creative Grids multi size 45 90 ruler that was recommended by the authors of several books on Jelly Roll Quilts (the Lintott's)... After 7 months of using Thangles, I really like using the Creative Grids ruler... It seems a lot simpler to me, an easier way to make multi-sized HST or QST... The ruler is a bit pricey, but i think it's worth it. Anyone else have a similar or different experience?

mike'sgirl 08-04-2013 01:55 PM

I don't like thangles. Too much hoo haw for me. I like the Fons and Porter half square triangle ruler.

Sandygirl 08-04-2013 03:02 PM

Creative Grids for me! I love the grippers that are on them. There are You Tube tutorial videos to show you how to use them and lots of patterns that use them. I have one in my Attic Window block tutorial, in fact!

Sandy

ckcowl 08-04-2013 03:04 PM

I have a friend who has been using thangles for years- loves them and always uses them- - me on the other hand prefer my rulers- guess it just depends on what you prefer- there are probably as many people who always use them as there are people who never use them- either way is fine as long as you achieve the finished product you wanted.

DebraK 08-04-2013 03:09 PM

I also prefer rulers. I enjoy paper piecing for the odd, hard to do any other way, stuff.

Lori S 08-04-2013 03:53 PM

I do both , it depends on the project( generally the small ones I use tangles) . There is a web site that has printable sheets for 1/2 triangles. Just can't find it right now.

NJ Quilter 08-05-2013 03:21 AM

The only time I've used Thangles is during my LQS BOM. I must say, I'm not a fan. I think using my regular rulers are far easier and quicker. Don't use any special rulers - just regular 6.5 x 24" with the various angle lines to use for trimming purposes. This said, I usually make my HST's a bit on the large size and trim down.

Donnamarie 08-05-2013 10:01 AM

If you plan on making more HST or QST you MUST purchase a CD called Triangulations (I have 3.0 there may be a newer version). You can basically print out sheets for any size you are making. You sew on the sewing lines and cut on the cutting lines. Perfect HST and QST every time. It is a fantastic CD and worth purchasing (~$30). Something I will use in quilting for many years. Try it!

sewplease 08-05-2013 01:13 PM

I just made 840 HSTs for a Bonnie Hunter quilt using the Easy Angle ruler. It uses strips that measure 1/2" bigger than the finished size. Once you get your seam allowance correct, there's no need to trim to size.

Geri B 08-05-2013 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by sewplease (Post 6217073)
I just made 840 HSTs for a Bonnie Hunter quilt using the Easy Angle ruler. It uses strips that measure 1/2" bigger than the finished size. Once you get your seam allowance correct, there's no need to trim to size.

I too like making HST with the easy angle ruler...it goes quickly and both pieces are cut together so naturally the fit! Although I have used Triangles on a Roll. If I am making a scrappy using mixed colors or odd pieces....I think most of us use different ways depending on how many and whether color control or scrappy...