Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   THANK YOU !!!!!!many times over (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/thank-you-many-times-over-t203529.html)

Jingle 10-18-2012 06:43 AM

I usually pick out a print - main fabric I want to use and just try to pick colors from that. If I don't have any to match, then I just try to pick out other colors to look okay with it. I am starting to like scrappies more, much easier.

Neesie 10-18-2012 06:56 AM

I first find the focus fabric, then carry it around with me, looking for the others. Right now, I have a bunch of fabrics (to use together) and no pattern. :p

AliKat 10-18-2012 07:38 AM

Relax, this is something you can learn. You can download a color wheel if you want. Yes, by all means take a friend who knows color but ask her to comment after you make each choice, so you learn ... being told what to pick isn't doing active learning.

Look around you at nature, house designs [including furniture upholstery colors,] magazines, and books. Silently critique the quilts shown at your quilting guild/group. You'll find you know more than you thought.

If color choice problems persist please get an eye exam. Loss of color can mean cataracts and the eye doc may not even ask you about this. So tell the doc.

Enjoy your outings.

kathbug 10-18-2012 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 5594182)
I find a focus fabric that I really like. If you look on the selvage, they have little dots of colour that went into that fabric. I use the dots for a starting point to choose other fabrics to go with it.

Always wondered what thoughs dots were for!

bearisgray 10-18-2012 07:49 AM

I've finally learned (mostly from a Jinny Beyer book) that 'go with' or 'bridges' is a lot more interesting than 'matching exactly'

For example - one has a royal blue and a kelly green - picking a turquoise or teal that 'bridges' the two colors usually is more interesting than trying to match exactly the blue or the green.

quilt addict 10-18-2012 07:58 AM

I still have a hard time with this also. I don't usually buy them all at once. I will buy fabric that I love that I don't have a project for. Then i use from my stash or when I decide on a project go looking.

I seem to not get either the right contrast or the color that will make it pop and provide movement and end up with a blah quilt.

when I am stuck though, I ask someone who makes quilts I admire.

crafty pat 10-18-2012 08:04 AM

I usually find fabric I love and find several colors that go with it then find a pattern. Some times I find a pattern and go looking for the fabric. I love color and have never had a problem working with them. My DM on the other hand had so much trouble putting fabrics together for her quilts. Some never fabric shop without their color wheel. In time for most it will start coming naturally.

sandy l 10-19-2012 03:19 AM

I still struggle with the color thing. I think that is why most of the quilts I make are scrap quilts. Some how they usually seem to come out ok.

Buckeye Rose 10-19-2012 05:31 AM

That is basically what I do....never thought of using the dots, but starting with one fabric and building from there.....the first fabric is the easiest to choose for me because it usually screams out to me "use me, use me! Once I find that first fabric, the rest of them seem to fall into place pretty easy. It also helps me to know in advance where this quilt will be used.....bedrooms don't get kitchen fabrics....bedroom with lilac colored walls won't get fabrics that are green (normally)....a couch throw for my mother won't get something sports oriented. I usually have an idea of what main color I want before I ever go to the store....much easier.

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 5594182)
I find a focus fabric that I really like. If you look on the selvage, they have little dots of colour that went into that fabric. I use the dots for a starting point to choose other fabrics to go with it.

wannaquilt1 10-19-2012 06:00 AM

I agree this board is so wonderful! I would have never tried quilting if it hadn't been for this board and I have also been encouraged to try different things as well. Now I feel like I can make anything!!!!