Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Thanks to everyone who has replied to things I have posted (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/thanks-everyone-who-has-replied-things-i-have-posted-t55933.html)

skydiver70 07-23-2010 06:50 PM

This is therapy to me and I thank each one of you for being so friendly to a newcomer who hasn't done anything in so long since Mama passed that I thought I was through.

My mother and my grandmother quilted all their life nearly. My grandmother quilted so many quilts and pieced several for me while she was in a nursing home the last 10 years of her life. I took care of her and she would always ask me to bring her some quilt pieces. Her stitches were so tiny (mine you would probably get your toe hung in unless I used a machine. Ha!) She live two months past her 100th birthday and pieced quilts up until two weeks before her death. Quite a lady!

Mama quilted almost all her life. She used an old quilting frame that hung from the ceiling. Dad passed away in 1973 and Mama quilted to help make ends meet for years after he passed away. She had never worked outside the home, but by word of mouth she took in all the quilts she had time to do. They were beautiful. I have her most prized quilt--she called it: Umbrella Girl--it is beautiful.

Happy quilting everyone!

virtualbernie 07-23-2010 06:51 PM

OOOOhhhh show us a picture!

mlaceruby 07-23-2010 06:52 PM

Such a nice family history of quilting!
you get it in your blood!
no one in my family quilted,sewed,embroidered etc
so I am starting a trend!
Hope one day that my grandaughter will think fondly of me quilting!

ncsewer 07-23-2010 06:56 PM

What wonderful memories you have of Gramma and your Mom. I'm glad you found us too. I spend so much time reading and looking, I forget to sew sometimes.

walen 07-23-2010 06:56 PM

You story is wonderful, and you tell it so very well. I too would love to see her best quilt! If you have time, please post one.

jemma 07-23-2010 07:01 PM

devastating when your mum dies --the only comfort i can share is gradually the pain diminishes and good /funny memories surface --i still talk to my mum and she has been gone a long time-- strange her advice just pops in my head when i need it--keep going with the quilting do it to enjoy it your mum was an example of the best you do not have to be as good --just needle in needle out is so soothing -- chin up

sharon b 07-23-2010 07:03 PM

What wonderful memories, Thanks for sharing them with us :lol:

Please post a pic when you get a chance would love to see the quilt :mrgreen:

smtp5 07-23-2010 07:06 PM

That is a very touching story! Welcome and bless you!

stefanib123 07-23-2010 07:16 PM

I'm glad you shared your story with us. It reminded me that my Mom just told me the other day about a quilting frame her mother had that hung from the ceiling. Too bad I was so young when Granny passed that I never got to talk to her about quilting, and my mother never did it. My mom sewed a lot, and did needlepoint and cross stitch and embroidery, but no quilts.

I would have loved to seen Granny's ceiling frame. I wonder what happened to it?

You do have such a wonderful quilting heritage! And it sounds like you really treasure it, too. I've known so many people that don't, you know?

Ive only been on this site a little while, but it is great! The people here are so awesome, and talented, whew, there is some talent here!

manyana 07-24-2010 01:22 AM

What wonderful memories - thankyou for sharing.