Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Is There Help For Me? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/there-help-me-t241556.html)

SandyG 02-20-2014 03:23 AM

Is There Help For Me?

I love making quilt blocks and binding quilts. My problem is, after the blocks are done, I really dislike adding sashing and sewing the blocks together. I get bored after the rush of doing the blocks, and get really excited about starting a new project. I now have about 12quilts in the finishing stages and can't get motivated to put them together. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to cure this problem?? All suggestions welcome. Thanks.

ckcowl 02-20-2014 03:35 AM

it really takes *self-discipline* .... one way that might work is.... place each of your 12 quilts into it's own large ziplock and number them- 1-12...stack them up in order...then, when that extreme urge to start a new quilt hits pick up the one on top of the stack and tell yourself...as soon as I have this together I can start this new quilt....sit down & get it done. it may go quickly, easily just because you are inspired *looking forward* to the next new one.
or, set aside one day each week that you only work on the *stacked quilts*
or, when you enter your sewing room decide you will spend your first hour working on a stacked quilt- before you start working on the new current project.
so, there are 3 ideas -one may work for you :thumbup:

helou 02-20-2014 03:35 AM

My suggestion: do what you enjoy! quilting is not a chore and is supposed to be fun and a hobby in my opinion.

If the 12 quilts in the finishing stages are bothering you, bring them to a guild or give them to somebody who will finish them. If you have a local quilting shop they might know somebody interested.

the last solution that I can think of is, if it is starting to bug you, wait a little bit longer and one of two things might happen:
1) you will forget about them, or
2) you will get the motivation, the determination, the patience etc and whatever it takes, to have 12 finished quilts loll
good luck.

Zinda 02-20-2014 03:35 AM

I'm having the same problem. I love getting the pattern, fabric, etc ready and sewn. However, when it comes time to finish the project, my interest zero's out.

NJ Quilter 02-20-2014 03:56 AM

I don't necessarily have this issue with sewing/quilting but certainly do with household paperwork! I had such a pile of stuff going that I was totally overwhelmed and getting absolutely nothing done. I finally decided I was going to spend 1 hr./day working on those things. Let me tell you, after 2 weeks, I had most of it totally under control. You could apply the same principal to your ufos. After you get them organized as ckcowl suggests, you could spend a preset amount of time working on the finishing baggie #1 and so on.

When I get in my procrastinating mood about much of anything, I'll eventually make myself do x amount of 'work' before I allow myself any 'fun' things (i.e. - fold laundry, then I can sew). Just what I have to do or my life would be a disaster.

HillCountryGal 02-20-2014 04:02 AM

Do you have a "quilting friend"? Maybe y'all could partner and finish one or two together. Like you, I have more fun thinking up and creating the quilt top. But I figure this is suppose to be fun.

One lady in our quilting group reports at least 12 tops that need finishing. She laughed the other day and said, "When I die someone will have to finish them!" :eek:

QuiltnNan 02-20-2014 04:06 AM

we often have UFO challenges here on the QB, or sometimes a virtual quilting weekend. you might join one of these to get inspired to finish,.

ILoveToQuilt 02-20-2014 04:50 AM

Yup...been there, done that, have the t-shirt to prove it!

I am a piecer but not a finisher, too. I have at least a dozen tops ready to be sandwiched and quilted. That's the part I hate! I know, I know...maybe I like to sew and NOT quilt??? Naw, I like making the blocks, stitching them into a top, then the brakes get applied. Part of my problem is that I don't have the room to put a quilt together. Taking them to a guild meeting to use their tables seems to be too much of a chore. Ah well...off to make more blocks!

I feel your pain, SandyG! Welcome to the "non-finishers but awesome starters" group! ;)

Anita

toverly 02-20-2014 04:54 AM

I know what you mean, putting them together is not the fun part of quilting. Maybe if you take a class on quilting techniques or free motion, it will help get you over the hump of not putting them together. If the end process is interesting too, you will be more likely to work on them.

paulswalia 02-20-2014 04:55 AM

Keep one project out on your sewing table. Sew two blocks together, every day. Then go do the stuff that's fun to you. Pretty soon you will have a row of blocks. Then sew two rows together, every day. It's like eating an elephant, one bite at a time.