Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   There is hope, my fellow quilters! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/there-hope-my-fellow-quilters-t307818.html)

themadpatter 11-03-2019 06:40 PM

There is hope, my fellow quilters!

My sisters (and brothers) I am here to tell you there is hope for your free motion quilting! It will not always make you have sad, hopeless, even somewhat hateful feelings about your self, your technique, your machine, your thread, your life, and even the very world around you! That is right, there will come a day (or night) when you will be sewing along, full of joy, and feeling like a very real Midnight Quilter your very own self! Yes! It happened to me just last night, so I am here to spread the word that There. Is. Hope!!! So, keep at it! Try a different pattern, experiment. Quilt like no one will ever see it, and soon you will be dancing like no one is watching.

In the interest of complete truthfulness I have to add that I then ran out of bobbin thread and when I changed it, I muffed catching the tension spring on the bobbin and had eyelashes like RuPaul's and had to (for the first time ever, how's that for irony, lol) tear out a couple of square's of quilting. So, c'est la vie, baby, life goes on. Can't wait to finish the quilting and show it to y'all!

Sheri.a 11-03-2019 06:52 PM

yeah!! I look forward to that break-out moment.

sewingsuz 11-03-2019 08:12 PM

I also look forward to that wonderful day or night! Congrats to you for hanging in there!

bearisgray 11-03-2019 08:45 PM

Congratulations!

Sharonquilts 11-04-2019 04:18 AM

Congratulations! I can't wait to have that "aha moment". Part of my problem is I feel I'm wasting material and thread. I realize that's the only way I'm going to learn ... I just have to make myself push past those thoughts.

AprilM 11-04-2019 04:55 AM

Yay!!! Celebrating with you!!! I agree, after practice, practice, practice that can sometimes seemingly go nowhere - then all of sudden... “yesterday i couldnt even spell Free Motion Quilter - today i are one!” 😊

There seems to be some invisible line we cross after working so hard and not giving up. It really is like retraining your brain and your body to do “this thing” that you are determined to do! All of a sudden you have muscle memory and its a wonderful thing!

Yippee for you! Enjoy it cuz youve earned it!!!

Watson 11-04-2019 06:19 AM

Hooray! What an accomplishment.

"Eyelashes like RuPaul's" :D That's funny!

Watson

juliasb 11-04-2019 07:47 AM

I've seen that breakdown moment a couple times in more than 30 years! It took some doing and a few UFO's along the way to get my mojo going again.This time as I get to that point I have a resolution to follow. "Do you want this fabric all to out life you? Then we have to get busy and enjoy myself again."

zozee 11-04-2019 09:08 AM

Your post cracked me up.

And yes, there is hope. I remember wondering if I would ever get comfortable with —or even enjoy— FMQ. It took lots and lots of practice on ugly practice sandwiches to get the hang of it.

And then came the day! Eureka!! Angels sang!

Tartan 11-04-2019 09:24 AM

Congratulations and keep at it!