Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Is there a name for quilts which are cut into sections (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/there-name-quilts-cut-into-sections-t307944.html)

JustAbitCrazy 11-10-2019 01:43 PM

Is there a name for quilts which are cut into sections

Is there a name for quilts which are cut into sections and each section is completed by a different quilter before being put together? I am being encouraged to take the Program Coordinator position in my guild for next year, and I'd like to do this as a group project, but I am not finding any patterns specifically for this online. Nor can I find a name for it. So...I drafted out a pattern for fusible applique from a public domain photo I found, and I think I drew a good pattern, but....I have never even done a fusible applique myself, nor have I ever drafted a pattern for one, so I am not confident and I surely don't want to lead my friends down a path to failure with this, lol.

The only commercial patterns I have found on the internet which could work for this are those by Toni Whitney, but I think there are too many pieces to her patterns for them to be used as a learning pattern. We have many younger and beginner quilters in our group now, plus senior members who just have never done this. If you have completed any of Toni Whitney's patterns I'd love to hear your thoughts. Also, if you think any of her patterns are a "beginner" fusible applique pattern, please let me know which one.

Thanks in advance for all your wisdom!

ibex94 11-10-2019 01:53 PM

It sounds like you might be asking about a sampler quilt. If so, the BOOM threads in quiltboard can help guide you to lots of sites with free patterns.

I have seen a quilter in this board who works with other quilters. They pick a photograph, divide the photo into sections and let each quilter reproduce one of the sections. After each section is completed the quilt is assembled. Is that what you're thinking about doing? I have no idea what that particular style is called.

JustAbitCrazy 11-10-2019 01:57 PM

This is definitely not a sampler quilt.
But what you described secondly is exactly what I am wanting to do.

JustAbitCrazy 11-10-2019 02:12 PM

I found one here on the QB in the "Art Quilts 2" album. It is an image of a row boat on a shore, and looks like it was done in 8 sections. I actually remember seeing it here when it was posted, and I loved it then, but don't remember who posted it or when.

Tartan 11-10-2019 02:21 PM

If it’s three panel I think it’s a triptych.

JustAbitCrazy 11-10-2019 02:31 PM

No, not a triptych, which is three separate panels. These quilts are one piece, just split for different quilters to execute and then assembled.

nativetexan 11-10-2019 02:38 PM

if joining them together into one quilt, it is called Quilting in Sections. marti mitchell i think had a book on that. it is a form of quilting as you go in blocks or rows but with sections instead. easier to complete on machines with small throat space.

JustAbitCrazy 11-10-2019 02:42 PM

nativetexan, that's not it, either, lol. But thank you all for putting on your thinking caps for me. I have been searching here on QB and I found the creator/motivator for that Rowboat quilt, and it was MaryKatherine. In the discussion which followed her posting it, several names were thrown about for the technique, and one was Sliced Quilts. I am going to google that and see what comes up....

QuiltE 11-10-2019 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by JustAbitCrazy (Post 8325438)
...........I found the creator/motivator for that Rowboat quilt, and it was MaryKatherine. In the discussion which followed her posting it, several names were thrown about for the technique, and one was Sliced Quilts. I am going to google that and see what comes up....

Yes MaryKatherine was the "ringleader" for Naomi's Boat!
I believe she gave a pretty detailed explanation of the process on her blog, if you check it out.

Good Luck!

juliasb 11-11-2019 07:35 AM

This reminds me of a round robin in many ways. Being sent from one person to the next. Are you all using the same pattern or does the next person in line have artistic freedom?