Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Is there a "quiet" insulated batting? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/there-quiet-insulated-batting-t271105.html)

romille 10-15-2015 08:00 AM

Is there a "quiet" insulated batting?

I have only used InsulBright a couple times, and I haven't tried any other insulated products. InsulBright has that annoying crinkly sound when you bend it. Are there any battings that don't do that? I want to make potholders for Christmas, but don't really want to give folks things that sound like a plastic bag when they use it!

Is doubling up cotton batting just as effective? Or wool?

Does adding a layer of cotton batting to the InsulBright cut down on the noise?

Or, has anyone tried a fusible batting like Bosal's In-R? Would that work?

Thanks!!

tessagin 10-15-2015 08:13 AM

Another thing you can use is the ironing board covers (silver/gray linings). When I use the Insulbright it's usually for things like hotpads/potholders and casserole carriers. You could try to work it/flex it back and forth to maybe loosen it up. I don't find it to be that noisy.

dunster 10-15-2015 08:50 AM

I've only used Insul-Bright with cotton batting and haven't found it to be noisy. I've also used several layers of cotton batting and I think that does just as well. I would question using the Bosal's In R Form in potholders. The instructions for it say that it can be tumble dried with no heat, or air dried. I'm not familiar with the product, but I can't find anything saying it would be suitable for potholders. It contains foam and tricot, but I haven't out what either is actually made of.

Sandygirl 10-15-2015 09:22 AM

The directions using Insul Bright suggests adding cotton batting too. It is "heat resistant...not heat proof.
Sandy

Gail B 10-15-2015 09:56 AM

I use Insul-Brite all the time for pot holders and casserole covers. I use 2 layers for potholders & 1 layer in Insul-Brite & 1 layer of cotton batting for casserole carriers. No noise problem here.

ManiacQuilter2 10-15-2015 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by dunster (Post 7346116)
I've only used Insul-Bright with cotton batting and haven't found it to be noisy.

I agree. I haven't found it to be noisy either.

NiaJane 10-15-2015 10:41 AM

I recently made potholders with 2 layers of cotton batting with denim in between the layers..... works pretty well. The denim was from old blue jeans. My mom used this method.

romille 10-16-2015 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by NiaJane (Post 7346196)
I recently made potholders with 2 layers of cotton batting with denim in between the layers..... works pretty well. The denim was from old blue jeans. My mom used this method.

I have never thought of putting denim in them! I just might have to give that a try. Thanks :)

NiaJane 10-16-2015 12:19 PM

You're welcome! My mom grew up during the depression and she learned to use whatever she had.. nothing was wasted. I like using the denim because it gives the potholder plenty of body and the quilting looks nice.

profannie 10-16-2015 02:19 PM

I go to the Salvation Army and buy those thick and scratchy wool blanket for 5-6$. I put a layer of wool and a layer of cotton batting. I really like the result: thick, good heat resistance and yet not stiff. Wool is also very nice for quilting definition.