Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Is there a reason to do this? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/there-reason-do-t307102.html)

nanna-up-north 09-25-2019 07:23 PM

Is there a reason to do this?

I've seen people pre-press their seams before pressing them to the dark fabric or whatever way they press them.

Is there a reason for pre-pressing? I do it because I've seen people doing it on quilting shows but I really don't know why.

quiltedsunshine 09-25-2019 07:50 PM

It's supposed to "set your seam." No, I don't do it.

Have you ever pressed a seam the wrong way, then had to press it back the other way? It seems like the same thing to me and I don't want that effect. And if you're pressing directly on a seam with polyester thread, on "cotton" setting, that could melt the thread.

osewme 09-25-2019 09:33 PM

I've seen/heard that done before also. I've tried it both ways (pre-press & just press one time). I really can't tell that much difference but they say it's to set the seams (whatever that means). So that being said...sometimes I pre-press & sometimes I don't...just depends on how I feel at the time. :)

Bobbinalong 09-25-2019 10:36 PM

Does it press the thread into the fabric? As the opening out of the seam takes a little of the fabric in the 'fold', (hence the use of a scant 1/4") would this make the seam allowance more accurate when you press the block open?

Or, am I overthinking this? :D

Blondie~ 09-26-2019 12:32 AM

Setting the seam by “pressing” it (up & down, not “ironing” back & forth) might be a carry-over-thing from garment making (e.g. sewing a fabric with a lining). You want a balanced seam, no puckers, smooth/flat/even together, before you grade, all that, so setting the seam comes first before pressing-ironing it open, or to the side. Or, you might need a perfect scant seam allowance if doing a specialty seam, or an edge finish. I don’t normally do it when piecing a cotton quilt. But I might, with a curved seam, or if I graded something.

ruby2shoes 09-26-2019 03:10 AM

My understanding is that it is as Bobbinalong said.....to settle the thread into the fabric. I don't know whether it is strictly necessary or not but I always do it...mostly out of habit because I was taught to do it.

Bobbielinks 09-26-2019 04:12 AM

When I first started quilting many years ago, I did not do the pre-press and often had a fold of fabric at my seam line. Then was watching a quilting program on TV in the 1980's and she advised pressing the seam before pressing the seam open or to one side. I tried it and found I no longer had that little fabric fold at the seam so I have been doing it every since. Just something that works for me.

SusieQOH 09-26-2019 04:34 AM

I've also seen them do it on the shows but when it comes to doing it I forget! :DI think it
supposedly flattens the thread. Who knows?

luvstoquilt 09-26-2019 04:38 AM

MSQC Jenny does it on her toutorials. I tried it and it didn’t change anything!

IrishgalfromNJ 09-26-2019 05:05 AM

Thanks for asking the question nanna-up-north. I've been wondering the same thing. I never set my seams before when sewing (garments and home dec.) and since I learned it for quilting I do it all the time.