Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Is There a "Rule" for Border Widths? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/there-rule-border-widths-t284805.html)

zozee 12-29-2016 08:26 PM

I play around till it just looks and feels right. And I do think it's probably very close to the Golden Ratio (which I've heard of but haven't applied consciously). I take pictures of the quilt as I audition borders; often the camera helps me "see" what I haven't seen. I also stand back as far as I can, and (if I have time) will let my choice "rest" for a day in my sewing room while I peek in several times a day to make sure I'm satisfied. If I'm stumped, I'll send the pictures to quilty friends for feedback. Just kinda trust the ole gut. It's never failed.

Peckish 12-29-2016 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by minibarn (Post 7728706)
Where did the "golden ratio" come from, I have never heard of it but it sounds interesting.

I'm quoting Bree from another thread on the subject, since she explained it so eloquently.

Originally Posted by Bree123 (Post 7277489)
Golden Ratio (aka, Golden Mean/Golden Rectangle) is ratio of 1:0.618. It is the typical ratio found in nature (flowers, shells, placement of eyes on a people's heads...) and is generally believed to be pleasing to the eye. Some well-known quilt designers use the ratio intentionally in their designs, but mathematicians have studied award winning quilts and found that whether the person intended to or not, most of them followed the Golden Ratio.

You can do a Google search for "Golden Ratio in Quilting" or "Fibibacci Sequence in Quilting" for more information.

Or, Donald Duck will explain it to you, which would be much more entertaining! :D

Donald Duck in Mathmagicland

QuiltnNan 12-30-2016 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish (Post 7728772)
"Fibibacci Sequence in Quilting" for more information.

Peckish meant fibonacci

here is a link to a search https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...ting%20borders -- lots of info available

thanks for the Donald Duck link... it's a half hour, so will watch it later

SueSew 12-30-2016 04:25 AM

I try to figure the outside border at roughly 2/3 of the block size but never related to the narrow stop border except to make sure it is at least 3x as wide and maybe 5x as wide. But overall the outside border, I find, looks better if it is proportional to the whole quilt - in other words my 82" quilt would take a wider border, even if it's got the same block size, as a 56" quilt.

Of course this all depends on what fabric I've got left and how much of it! :o

Macybaby 12-30-2016 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by SueSew (Post 7728811)
Of course this all depends on what fabric I've got left and how much of it! :o

that is what determines a lot of my border widths too!

Kitsie 12-30-2016 09:16 AM

The sizes you have thought of would work well for me. I like to use a size that can be associated with the block size. eg: for a 5" block - a 2 1/2" border, for 6" block - 3" or 2". But that's just me!

I like a "stop" border, too and that could be 1" for any size blocks.

Peckish 12-30-2016 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan (Post 7728807)
Peckish meant fibonacci

Dad gummit, I hate it when I'm typing on my phone and don't catch the fat-finger errors.... :p

QuiltnLady1 12-30-2016 01:47 PM

When I started quilting (eons ago) the books I read said that the total of all the borders should be half to two thirds the size of the blocks. I start there and audition different widths.

Geri B 12-31-2016 07:20 AM

Giggles! I love the Donald Duck theory! I have seen some pics of antique quilts that have very wide borders and others that have none. Hmm, those quilt makers were not formally trained by the --cians, or ----ists, just used what they had on hand or to make the size wanted/needed. I, personally, have done all ways. Never once did a theory question enter my mind at that moment. In actuality, I imagine everything we do is based on some theory.

carolynjo 12-31-2016 08:03 AM

There are several books on "the finishing touch" which discuss this very thing.