Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Is there a seam pressing tutorial here somewhere? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/there-seam-pressing-tutorial-here-somewhere-t55870.html)

KellyK 07-23-2010 11:10 AM

I was floating around the site yesterday and someone mentioned pressing seams in opposite directions helps to make points match up. I've got all my fabric cut for a quilt for kids kit and wanted to make sure I understand this before I start the four patches. Thank for any help!

Sadiemae 07-23-2010 11:31 AM

When you are making your 4 patch if you always press toward the darker fabric, your seams will butt up to each other.

justwannaquilt 07-23-2010 01:05 PM

yep away press to the dark side when doing 4 patches!

Since I know someone will have the answer how the heck do ya press to get flat pinwheels? I don't get the "put a pencil eraser in the middle and give it a twist" or the give it a tug in either direction until it pops"!

ToucanSam 07-23-2010 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by justwannaquilt
Since I know someone will have the answer how the heck do ya press to get flat pinwheels? I don't get the "put a pencil eraser in the middle and give it a twist" or the give it a tug in either direction until it pops"!

Interested in this too!

Sadiemae 07-23-2010 03:31 PM

yep away press to the dark side when doing 4 patches!

I don't get it either. I just need someone to do it right in front of me so I could watch. I just press these open and go for it. Seems to work for me.

KellyK 07-23-2010 05:42 PM

Thank you Sadiemae!

Good thing I'm starting with 4 patches, pinwheels can wait from the sounds of things!

justwannaquilt 07-23-2010 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by KellyK
Thank you Sadiemae!

Good thing I'm starting with 4 patches, pinwheels can wait from the sounds of things!

ha ha, actually they are really easy, and I love them. I just hate the build-up of seams in the dead center where all the points (seven different seams) meet.

for everyone watching I am going to try pressing the HST seams to the dark side, and then press the other three seams OPEN! maybe this will work. I dunno at this point but I need to figure it out I have 340 of them in my near future!

EasyPeezy 07-23-2010 06:56 PM

ha ha, actually they are really easy, and I love them. I just hate the build-up of seams in the dead center where all the points (seven different seams) meet.

for everyone watching I am going to try pressing the HST seams to the dark side, and then press the other three seams OPEN! maybe this will work. I dunno at this point but I need to figure it out I have 340 of them in my near future!

Sounds like a plan. Please let us know how this works out for you.

Jingle 07-23-2010 08:10 PM

If quilts are machine pieced, it doesn't matter if you press to one side or press seams open. I've tried the open thinking it might be easier to match the seams, but, I didn't think so, with the seam going to one side and matching seam pressed the opposite way, butting them up really matches the seams easier.
Making a tube quilt I found you couldn't press to the dark side as the allowances went the same way.

Pam in WV 07-24-2010 10:48 AM

Kelly, if you go to Quiltingassistant.com and on the right side under quilting information, select techniques. There are some easy tips and maybe it will make it a bit easier. Pam