Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Is there some magic spell or fairy dust that'll help with free motion quilting? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/there-some-magic-spell-fairy-dust-thatll-help-free-motion-quilting-t106932.html)

Debbie B 03-12-2011 06:43 AM

If you find that magic spell or fairy dust will you share with me? I keep on plugging at FMQ and I do see improvement, but that stitch length drives me crazy.

nickylsf 03-12-2011 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by catrancher
Go to Leah Day's website and watch her tutes. If you have a laptop, set it up next to your sewing machine. That's what I did and it helped. I'm not an expert, but I have more confidence than before. If you don't know her site, just search with her name.

Leah's site is where I learned everything I know about FMQ. She has great videos and pages and pages of helpful information. Check her out at http://www.daystyledesigns.com/.

Nolee 03-12-2011 07:02 AM

I say do your small projects you can handle then find a shop that rents use of their long-arm machine. My shop charges $18 an hour and I just finished a big quilt in an hour and a half. Trust me, I have the same problem you have and this is the answer for me. Most quilts wouldn't take 2 hours to do on their big machine.

jean knapp 03-12-2011 07:09 AM

Several of my friends took a class from Harriet Hargrove. They have become fabulous fmq. I however was not arround to take the class. I bought her book but I quess nothing beats the personal touch. I am with you wanting that fairy dust.

sewTinker 03-12-2011 07:13 AM

you'll find your fairy dust in a glass of wine. I'm not Kidding! A little wine, start moving your brain in free motion patterns, then your head. While still in this fairy trance, sit down at your machine, and, voilla, magic.

sewTinker 03-12-2011 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by catrancher

Originally Posted by Maia B
It must be "try and cry" FMQ day. I've been making quilts for 20+ years, hand quilting and machine quilting straight lines only. So I have great machines with which to FMQ, I've read some recommended books, and I tried it early this morning. Hundreds of thousands of people do this, right? So no tension problems, no eyelashes, but it was just awful. I think everything is set just fine, because the stitch line is great except that it's jerky, ugly, and inconsistent. I could feel the thread's shame and disappointment at being involved. I can't trace a line, make any attractive shape, nothing nice at all. I sewed out a bobbin's worth on a 12"x 18" piece, which I then took directly to the rabbit cage to die the worst death any quilt can as a peed-upon chew rug. I went back to bed. Later, when I opened my thread drawer, the quilting weight threads were all cowering in fear. Even the piecing thread looked nervous. The worst of the whole story is that I was using the Bernina 440 with BSR, which is supposed to help, right? So I know it takes practice, but I'm pretty discouraged. It's also not AT ALL fun. Which is crazy, too...fabric :) + batting :) + thread :) + Bernina :))) = sad and sore like I did too much yard work.

OMG, I laughed until I cried reading this. You have a future in stand up if the FMQ defeats you.

roaring here! "the quilting weight threads were all cowering in fear. " hahahahaHAHAHAHA.....

SueJ 03-12-2011 07:38 AM

ROLF, you guys are hilarious!! I am fairly new to quilting (less then 6 mths) & saving $ to buy a nicer machine that I can do FMQ (just now figured out what it stood for). After reading everyone's posts, I at least know what I am in for! Meanwhile I continue to stitch in the ditch...

Sue

darlin121 03-12-2011 08:18 AM

I don't know about fairy dust but $30,000 will get you a Gammill longarm quilting system with computerized quilting!
FMQ? I send mine out, I believe in supporting other quilters. lol

ChildoftheUniverse 03-12-2011 08:37 AM

You certainly have the sense of humor for this sort of thing... keep on keeping on, I guess. I'd listen to all these good people... they all seem to know what is the best!

MYWR 03-12-2011 08:55 AM

So nice to know it is not just me - I am persevering with the SID untlil I get more courage. I've made a 'wall hanging' (small) for my son in to practice and lots of little things to place warm pots on for the table for my friends - but I just can't follow a curve to save my life. Hoping the wine and fairy dust will help too ! I'm with you sister !