Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Is there such thing as "old thread"??? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/there-such-thing-%22old-thread%22-t128250.html)

KarenS 06-05-2011 11:44 AM

I was wondering if thread actually gets "old" and shouldn't be used. I have some thread that I have had for years and would like to use up but am afraid it might get weak with age and shouldn't be used. I am talking more about regular sewing thread, but I guess my question would pertain to serger cones, quilting thread, etc.

MadQuilter 06-05-2011 11:58 AM

Do the tug test. Old thread can get brittle (particularly if it was exposed to sunlight) and if it is brittle, it will tear easily when you tug firmly. If it takes real effort to tear the thread off the spool, then it should be OK to use.

eastermarie 06-05-2011 12:00 PM

It can get old. It depends on the conditions of storage. It can dry rot.

Scissorman 06-05-2011 12:02 PM

Karen, the answer to your questions is Yes! Thread ages just like everything else. It doesn't matter if it's synthetic or all cotton. The best place to store any thread is out of direct sunlight and in a low humidity area. What's the sense of putting hours into the fabrication of a quilt if the tensile strength of the thread has been compromised due to old age?

Happy Scissoring,
Michael

TonnieLoree 06-05-2011 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Scissorman
Karen, the answer to your questions is Yes! Thread ages just like everything else. It doesn't matter if it's synthetic or all cotton. The best place to store any thread is out of direct sunlight and in a low humidity area. What's the sense of putting hours into the fabrication of a quilt if the tensile strength of the thread has been compromised due to old age?

Happy Scissoring,
Michael

Hey Michael, I do not age! I am timeless. (okay, warped in a few spots, but not delapidated. ;) )

ckcowl 06-05-2011 04:29 PM

give it a good tug- compare it to the strength of a newer thread- i've been helping my mother use up a supply of cones that we've been using since 1994- i really don't know how long she had it before i started helping use it...it is still good strong thread.
and in the quilt museums there are quilts from the 1700's the thread is still holding them together.

Divokittysmom 06-05-2011 04:56 PM

Great question and so timely for me. My mom just gave me a huge bag of thread. There were probably 150 spools or more. I shared them with my darling daughter who is just beginning to sew. We are both thrilled to have such a great stash of thread! We will be giving it the 'tug' test before stitching away on projects.

Jingle 06-05-2011 05:02 PM

I use all my thread no matter how old it is. I have had new thread (less than a couple of years old) that breaks while I'm using it. No sun on thread here.

irishrose 06-05-2011 06:31 PM

Polyester or cotton wrapped poly is much less likely to age than all cotton. You know all the polyester pants we wore in the 70s are going to be in the landfills 100 years from now, still shining brightly and as strong as ever. I would test it, but expect breakage at a certain point in anything except the invisible stuff that looks like fishing line.

jaciqltznok 06-05-2011 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by KarenS
I was wondering if thread actually gets "old" and shouldn't be used. I have some thread that I have had for years and would like to use up but am afraid it might get weak with age and shouldn't be used. I am talking more about regular sewing thread, but I guess my question would pertain to serger cones, quilting thread, etc.

they can get old, they can get dry rot, they can mold...you just do the tug test..if it seems to break easily then spritz with water and place in a ziploc or covered plastic dish in the fridge for a few days to rehydrate the thread. Of course this only works on 100% or silk..not on blends..if a blend breaks easily toss it out or keep it for sewing on buttons!