Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Is there a way to hide the tails of a knot on a tied quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/there-way-hide-tails-knot-tied-quilt-t38497.html)

jaman12 03-03-2010 11:24 AM

I am doing a tied quilt but don't really care for the tails that it leaves behind. Anyone have a suggestion or instructions on how I can tie but not leave tails showing? I guess I want more of a basted type stitch.

Rhonda 03-03-2010 11:35 AM

Iuse what I call an invisible stitch. It is sort of like a french knot. On my french knots you go up and down in the same place. So for a tied knot I go up and down 3 times in the same place being careful not to go in the exact same place or it will pull out but keep as close as possible. Then I have the tail on the back side and after I get the 3 I run the thread through on the backside to catch the tail like you would on a button to secure it. Then after I have made sure the thread is secure I clip the tail as close to the knot as I can without cutting the knot itself. It won't be totally invisible but it won't show much especially if you use a thread that matches the quilt. Make sure when you sew the first time you catch the beginning tail in that stitch and also in the next 2 stitches. Then you only have to deal with the thread on your needle at the end. I guess it really isn't tied but it gives the same effect with out any tails showing.

You can do the same 3 times through and tie it at the end instead of hiding the tails and then after you tie it a couple of times you can trim the tails close. It is whichever look you like.

Rachel 03-03-2010 11:48 AM

I've never tied a quilt, but couldn't you just bury the tails in the layers of the quilt?

raptureready 03-03-2010 11:49 AM

I like to make tied quilts the way my Momma did. She'd tie each knot three times and then trim the ends to about 1/2 to 3/4 inch. She always said, "The knots are what ties the love in." Also, on baby quilts they give the babies something interesting to focus on and fiddle with. A basting type of stitch is going to catch on things and pull.

mrspete 03-03-2010 11:57 AM

I like your suggestion. It holds so well.

Margie 03-03-2010 12:16 PM

someone on here "ties" quilts with what she called "chicken feet I think" It looks like an open lazy daisy stitch.

MNQuilter 03-03-2010 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Margie
someone on here "ties" quilts with what she called "chicken feet I think" It looks like an open lazy daisy stitch.

Turkey Tracks is what I've seen it called too. I think if you look under tutes there are directiosn to do this. They look like little V's up and down the quilt.

Margie 03-03-2010 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by MNQuilter

Originally Posted by Margie

Turkey Tracks is what I've seen it called too. I think if you look under tutes there are directiosn to do this. They look like little V's up and down the quilt.

OMG lol that is it TURKEY TRACKS!! Ty hmmm where did I get "chicken feet" rofl...getting OLD ANyway, I love the look of it.

Margie

Oklahoma Suzie 03-04-2010 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by raptureready
I like to make tied quilts the way my Momma did. She'd tie each knot three times and then trim the ends to about 1/2 to 3/4 inch. She always said, "The knots are what ties the love in." Also, on baby quilts they give the babies something interesting to focus on and fiddle with. A basting type of stitch is going to catch on things and pull.

I'm doing a baby quilt that is tied, and I leave the tails. I like the way it looks.

athenagwis 03-04-2010 01:32 PM

You could always bury your first tail. Then loop through twice, and instead of cutting the tail there, just run your thread over to the spot, loop twice, and move through to the next spot (running your thread between the back and front in the batting). I saw this method somewhere and like it, but I can't find instructions now. You'd have to have longer pieces of thread, but it gets you what you want!

Rachel