Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   These triangles are going to drive me to drink (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/these-triangles-going-drive-me-drink-t88731.html)

bev195000 01-08-2011 02:23 PM

I am also working with triangles at the mo doing a kite design quilt and i know what you mean about sewing them on the wrong way round but i unpick them and this is more frustrated than anything lol,,,

grammy17 01-08-2011 02:42 PM

4 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by seamstome
GRAMMY, we are sisters...YES it is striped fabric on top of it all!!!

I am making squares first. Then take my dritz marking tool and draw a diagonal line on the back of each striped fabric. Sew 1/4" on each side of that line. Then cut on the line. Press open and you have two triangles.

I figured out each square gives you strips in two directions. After you have two squares worth of triangles you can match them up.

Marking with dotted lines
[ATTACH=CONFIG]156118[/ATTACH]

Sew 1/4" on both sides of the line
[ATTACH=CONFIG]156119[/ATTACH]

Cut the line
[ATTACH=CONFIG]156120[/ATTACH]

Triangle squares
[ATTACH=CONFIG]156124[/ATTACH]

neeng 01-08-2011 03:13 PM

PatP that is a wonderful stained glass window in your avatar!

krabadan 01-08-2011 03:15 PM

I'm not a triangle fan either

dakotamaid 01-08-2011 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by seamstome
I dont know what it is about triangles. I can do circles, I can do complicated paper piecing but I cannot do triangles.

I get the colors on the wrong side. I sew the wrong sides together, making a square not a larger triangle. Luckily I have extra fabric.

Intellectually, I understand them....but somehow I cannot get them tamed. I have two quilts going right now that are triangles. I am finishing these and never doing another one.

But for right now, I think I might just stop and have a margarita.

I feel your pain! I have a full bottle of wine, wanna come? :lol:

Pat P 01-08-2011 05:24 PM

Thank you neeng, that window is 5 ft in diameter the trim is sassafras wood . It use to hang in the second story of our old farm house. DH put it there and then he installed it in our new home. When the sun shines I feel like I am in church everyday! The baby is grandson Parker Lance in his great-grandma Palmers christening gown with matching underskirt.

morelcabin 01-08-2011 05:29 PM

Okay...just when I was getting my mind wrapped around the idea of trying triangles...all that add 7/8 stuff...I was really gearing up to try it...ugh! I'm sticking to applique...LOL!
Oh and thanks so much for the warning about stripes and triangles...RFLOL!

happymrs 01-08-2011 05:43 PM

HSTs are the only way to go! Just look at the pics of how to, & try it! So much easier!...

Midwestmary 01-08-2011 05:57 PM

I like to use a Wonder Cut ruler to do HST's - the ruler does the math for me - I just have to cut strips...there are other rulers on the market that work well for cutting triangles also.

seamstome 01-08-2011 06:18 PM

I dont have problems sewing them. I have a problem putting them together properly. I finally did what the one quilter posted and laid them out on the side of my machine.

I am not doing HST. I always get so confused about what they are called. I am doing the ones where two triangles are put together to make another triangle. You sew on the short side.

I got half of them done...only need 32. But I have 15 mistakes!!! Stripes wrong way, WOW upside down, accent color in the wrong place and the infamous put two triangles together and get a square.

My husband just came in and laughed. He thinks it is hilarious. I think he is sleeping on the couch tonight.