Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   They have no idea about quilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/they-have-no-idea-about-quilting-t313167.html)

toverly 11-20-2020 04:46 AM

They have no idea about quilting

On a local website, someone posted yesterday. "Looking for Quilter to make a tshirt quilt for a December birthday?" Wow, all I could think of is people have no idea about quilting. I didn't reply of course. But I did get a good chuckle out of the request thinking, "No, nothing is going on this time of year." Happy Sewing y'all!

platyhiker 11-20-2020 05:01 AM

So true! People who don't do various crafts tend to vastly underestimate the amount of time that goes into it. I remember someone expressing interest in a hat I was knitting and saying that she could pay me for one. It was a complicated two color pattern - I would guess that it took about 6-8 hours to make that hat. I remember thinking that if I charged even minimum wage for my time, plus materials (good quality wool yarn), no way would she willing to pay that. I just ignored her suggestion/request.

I came across a wonderful quote in the knitting world, that translates well to other crafts, including quilting:
Knitting is like sex. If I like you and you appreciate it, it's free. Otherwise, you can't pay me enough.

SusieQOH 11-20-2020 05:13 AM

hahaha! Love that quote! And so true.

Snooze2978 11-20-2020 05:31 AM

My mother and sister had no idea what went into a quilt, how much fabric it took, the time to wash and/or starch, press, cut, sew, press, layer, quilt and bind. Sometimes back breaking from bending over for long periods of time. Now that they've seen me in action they know and appreciate.............Of course they still wanat their's done...............YESTERDAY!!!!!!

Onebyone 11-20-2020 05:38 AM

There will be some silly soul that will reply and do it for little of nothing. . Thus setting the standard of I got this made cheap so why are you charging so much?

Tartan 11-20-2020 07:56 AM

Sure we can just whip one of those up.😂

juliasb 11-20-2020 08:03 AM

You are right so many people have no idea the time and concentrated work that goes into making a quilt. I chuckle even more when it comes to how much some people are willing to pay for a home made quilt. I had one person offer me $50 for a queen size quilt. Of course I said no way.

Jordan 11-20-2020 08:40 AM

I agree-everyone thinks if you sew you can make anything in a day or two. I know some people have no idea about sewing and I understand that too.

bearisgray 11-20-2020 08:54 AM

A lot of people do not know/realize how food is produced.

It is magically in the grocery store (most of the time in the USA, anyway).

Or anything else, for that matter.

Cheshirepat 11-20-2020 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray (Post 8435048)
A lot of people do not know/realize how food is produced.

It is magically in the grocery store (most of the time in the USA, anyway).

Or anything else, for that matter.

Bearisgray, you are so right!