Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   thick thread (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/thick-thread-t276055.html)

susanwilley 02-23-2016 07:23 PM

thick thread

Anyone have any ideas or information on quilting with a heavy or thick thread that will show better on top of the quilt when quilting? I didn't think I would ever want to do this but now that I have gotten a little better at following the stencil lines I am ready to let the quilting designs show. So, now I am wondering if a heavier or thicker thread would show up better on the quilt tops.

Nammie to 7 02-23-2016 07:34 PM

Heavier weight thread will show up more -- also my LAer will use a different color thread when I want the stitching to be noticed. I just had a quilt done, it had a lot of white--the quilting was done in black. It looks awesome.

QuiltnLady1 02-23-2016 08:32 PM

If you use a heavier thread you need to use a larger needle. There are also folks who put the heavy thread in the bobbin and quilt with the bottom of the quilt up and the top against the feed dogs.

Bree123 02-23-2016 10:05 PM

Yes. I did the same thing. Started with a matching 50wt, then switched to a matching 40wt. Then on to a coordinating color in 40wt & for some detailing I'll even use 28wt. I know some people that do bobbin work with a 12wt, but I'm not nearly that talented or that brave yet. With Aurifil threads they tell you right on their website what size needle is recommended for quilting with the different weight threads. I believe some of the other manufacturers do that as well.

DOTTYMO 02-23-2016 11:10 PM

You could use perle thread and hand quilt.

feline fanatic 02-24-2016 05:44 AM

Wonderfil makes a 12wt you can run through the top, it is called Spaghetti. I bought some in Syracuse at the AQS show but have yet to find an opportunity to use it. The samples (done by Kim Stotsenburg of Sew and Sew quilting) were very cool.

http://www.wonderfilonline.com/index.php?cPath=21_49_58

Patricia Drew 02-24-2016 06:14 AM

I do FMQ on a Juki TL2010Q. I have used Sulky 12 wt on top and regular 50 wt cotton in the bobbin, with a size 18 needle, and a little tension adjustment. Works fine.

Bree123 02-24-2016 08:07 AM

So grateful for all the posters here. I have often wished I could run 12wt through my machine on top for some special art quilting. I had read on Aurifil's site that it's for hand stitching & had heard about it being used for bobbin work, but never realized you can used it on top with some minor adjustments. I found this blurb today on Fat Quarter Shop's website:

Aurifil 12 wt thread is ideal for hand quilting, big stitch hand quilting and machine quilting. 12 weight thread creates a more defined and often primitive look. It's great for designs that use a longer stitch length if using a machine. When machine quilting with 12 wt thread, use 40 wt in the bobbin, increase your stitch length, lower your tension, use Topstitch size 90 needles and stitch slowly.
So of course, now I want to go to LQS to buy some 12wt thread. Let's see if I can get out of there without buying 6 more things that weren't on my list. :eek:

susanwilley 02-24-2016 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Nammie to 7 (Post 7475162)
Heavier weight thread will show up more -- also my LAer will use a different color thread when I want the stitching to be noticed. I just had a quilt done, it had a lot of white--the quilting was done in black. It looks awesome.

That does sound awesome! I'll have to try the heavier weight thread.

susanwilley 02-24-2016 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnLady1 (Post 7475202)
If you use a heavier thread you need to use a larger needle. There are also folks who put the heavy thread in the bobbin and quilt with the bottom of the quilt up and the top against the feed dogs.

That sounds like a good idea! I would never have thought to quilt from the back.
Thanks!