Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Thimble for hand quilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/thimble-hand-quilting-t277043.html)

Bree123 03-25-2016 12:17 AM

I vote for "the expensive thimble" -- but it's not my money. Ha ha! No, I don't know. Is there any way for you to try it out first? That's what I'd suggest. For example, with ThimbleLady thimbles, you can try out the plastic version first & she guarantees fit on the silver/gold thimbles.
That said, I still mostly seem to prefer the stick-on Poke-a-Dot thimbles to anything else. I can put them on a few different fingers, exactly where I am naturally inclined to push the needle through, rather than having to adjust my finger to where the divets are & it's easy for me to move it whenever I want to. But I'm not a very skilled hand quilter so perhaps as I get better I will feel the need to invest in more quality thimbles. :)

bjchad 03-25-2016 03:26 AM

Just got the Thimblelady's stainless steel hand quilting thimble. What a difference! It is worth the money. For me it is the right tool for the job.

NJ Quilter 03-25-2016 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by bjchad (Post 7504111)
Just got the Thimblelady's stainless steel hand quilting thimble. What a difference! It is worth the money. For me it is the right tool for the job.

This is the thimble I use as well. I started out with the plastic version to see if I liked a) the concept and b) the fit. Their sizing guide/instructions I found to be very accurate. The stainless steel version I do not find to be overly expensive - particularly compared to buying many different varieties to try to find something that works for you.

I also find it much easier to push with the pad of my finger than the top as most commercially available thimbles are designed. I would highly recommend the Thimblelady thimbles. Great quality as well.

Hinterland 03-25-2016 03:32 AM

Let me put the price of the expensive thimble in perspective: it's a lot less than a sewing machine, and at the cost of fabric these days, less than the cost of a quilt top. You can try a Roxette, but I'm not sure that's a fair test - the dimples are not as deep.

I use a Roxanne, and for my thumb, I use a tailors thimble. The thimble was worth every penny to me.

Janet

sewingitalltogether 03-25-2016 04:14 AM

I have a TJ Lane thimble. She had a hooped quilt piece to try out the thimble before you bought it. I quilted a bit and it felt great. I bought a thimble that has an opening for your fingernail. I love it.

tessagin 03-25-2016 04:39 AM

The only one I don't have is the Thimblelady. I really like the leather ones. My problem is I misplace them and am not going to risk misplacement of a Thimblelady.

117becca 03-25-2016 04:44 AM

I use the coin thimble that I can get at JoAnn's. It is leather, w/ a metal dimple coin that covers the pad of my finger. That is what I use to push the needle thru the fabric. I also have tried many kinds of thimbles. I like the leather thimbles because I can feel the needle as i place it to rock it thru the quilt.

The other thimble that I like is The Comfort Thimble, I just haven't gotten around to ordering one. Hmmmm maybe over spring break....

Genden 03-25-2016 10:13 AM

I appreciate all the information. The Thimble Lady's thimble is also an option. I do believe in the right tool for the job. I am surprised I didn't hear from others who don't use a thimble. Am I the only one? I guess that is all the more reason to find the right thimble.

Hinterland 03-25-2016 11:32 AM

You're not the only one that doesn't use a thimble for whatever reason. Some quilters just can't get used to it.

Janet

amyjo 03-25-2016 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by ontheriver (Post 7503947)
I had a hard time finding a thimble that works for me. I found leather ones are the best, not so hard or uncomfortable.

this is the type I use. I like them.