Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Thimbles (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/thimbles-t194656.html)

ankegram 07-14-2012 06:07 PM

Thimbles

Hi! I have never found a thimble that I could use. I am a hand quilter for about 20+ years. I know this sounds crazy, but I have always wrapped my top pushing finger with medical adhesive tape. As you can imagine, after an hour or so of quilting, the needle begins to pierce the tape and puncture my poor finger. Recently I came across adhesive "Thimble-It's" at a quilting store. They work ok for a few minutes and then the needle begins puncturing them just like my adhesive tape. My question is, "have any of you ever tried the "Ultra Thimble" metallic adhesive pads? They sound great! I'd appreciate your feedback and opinions! Thanks! :o

patchsamkim 07-14-2012 06:17 PM

No opinion on the product you are asking about...just wondering if you have ever tried a leather thimble or only metal or plastic thimbles? I have never been able to get used to a rigid thimble, but do good with a leather one. Just something for you to consider.

ankegram 07-14-2012 06:26 PM

Patch, yes I have tried the leather slip on thimbles. They just feel weird to me. I guess I'm just a creature of habit! I don't like the feeling of my finger being "contained.". Maybe I'm suffering from finger claustrophobia! LOL

bearisgray 07-14-2012 09:03 PM

I like the inexpensive metal ones that stay on, but don't pinch. They feel a bit more comfortable if slightly flattened - can tap it gently with a hammer to do so.

cad_queen_2000 07-14-2012 09:12 PM

I have never had a problem with thimbles. I have used the same one for over 20 years. My sister can not use a thimble. She uses duct tape on her fingers. Says it works for her.

Neesie 07-14-2012 09:34 PM

I also like leather thimbles. Just a thought . . . but if you have an old pair of leather gloves, you could snip off a piece of leather and use it under your adhesive tape.

virtualbernie 07-14-2012 09:49 PM

I use both of those thimbles and won't use anything else. Regular thimbles (if I can find the right size) make my fingers sweat. They come in 2 versions--one with dimples to help push the needle through and the other is smooth that I use on my under finger which makes the needle glance of it. They're the only thing that works for me when hand quilting :)

kathdavis 07-14-2012 10:35 PM

I just can't use a thimble. I even slept in one to try to get used to it, and that didn't work for me. I use non-medicated corn pads. If I can find the small sheet of pad in the foot dept, I buy it and then cut whatever size I need. I've been using for several years now.

What is ironic is that I collect thimbles and have about 400 of them.

nycquilter 07-15-2012 04:10 AM

I use the little round leather thimbles that stick to your finger. Though the stickiness wears off after a while, I can use the same one for what seems like a long time. I put it exactly where I want it on my finger. I'd tried so many thimbles, including cheap and not-so-cheap, before I settled on this. They are pretty thick so puncturing through them has not been a problem for me. When I tried handquilting, I used this on my upper hand and the little metal stick on on my underhand.

ankegram 07-15-2012 05:55 AM

So many wonderful ideas! Thank you all so much! I particularly like the duct tape idea! Thank goodness for this quilting board, whenever Im at a loss for an idea, you'al come through for me! Thanks again and have a blessed day!