Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Thimbles (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/thimbles-t216309.html)

Traditional Quilter 03-13-2013 07:19 PM

Thimbles

I am in the market for a thumb thimble for hand quilting. I've narrowed it down to Thimblelady's and Ted Storm's. Does anyone have any experience with either? What about T. J. Lane's? I need a silver thimble because of allergies.

I bought a Roxanne thimble for my thumb some years ago, but it is very cumbersome so I gave up trying to use it. I thought perhaps since Thimblelady's and Ted Storm's have an open end they might be easier to use. I really want to try using my Grace Z44 floor frame again, so I need to become better at quilting with my thumb.

Jane

NJ Quilter 03-14-2013 03:46 AM

I have no idea about a thumb thimble specifically but I can tell you that I really like my Thimblelady's thimble for my pushing finger. Wonderfully deep dimples to hold the needle. I have the stainless steel version (actually on my second one!) which I think was about $35. Their sizing instructions I found to be very accurate when compared to what size thimble they sent. Now I have to go look at Ted Storm's thimbles just for kicks & giggles. Would actually love to learn how to quilt with my thumb. Hope you get the feedback you're looking for.

Viquilt 03-14-2013 04:20 AM

Love the T J Lane but did not like Roxanne too bulky. Vi

Hinterland 03-14-2013 04:49 AM

I use a tailor thimble on my thumb - it's great because the open top keeps enough finger exposed so I can grab the needle. I think TJ Lane has a silver one on her site. Mine isn't silver, but I did line it with some surgical tape when I thought it might be causing a rash on thumb.

I have never used the Ted Storm thimble. Some people love it, but I've often wondered if that cup is enough to keep the needle from slipping.

By the way, if you're on Facebook there is a group of dedicated hand quilters, and a blog - look for Celebrate Hand quilting. You'll find lots of advice there.

Janet

P-BurgKay 03-14-2013 04:33 PM

I love my TJ Lane thimbles, I only have 5 now. Three are the same style. They are the best, and
when I get a whole in one, I send it to TJ and she repairs or replaces it.

DOTTYMO 03-15-2013 01:27 AM

I am uncomfortable with push on thimbles and found I like those sticky shapes to put on tips. Only problem I forget they are on. I also make my nails up so I can use the inside of the nail to push the needle back up.

Traditional Quilter 03-15-2013 06:09 AM

Thanks for your great advice.

I went to Jinny Beyer's Studio yesterday and tried on a T. J. Lane thimble and immediately fell in love with it. It feels like part of my hand. As a matter of fact, I liked it so well I also bought one for my quilting finger to replace my Roxanne. I did a little stitching in the shop with both thimbles on and I think with practice I can do this. I also own a Thimblelady cone that I trade off with my Roxanne -- depending on the size of my finger any given day. I assume we all have hands that change sizes with no recognizable reason. I admit that I was a little concerned that the Lane thimbles were thinner, but it's good to know that I can get it repaired if necessary. Now, I'm excited to start practicing with my thumb and maybe I will eventually be able to quilt in any direction.

Thanks again for your input.