Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   thimbles (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/thimbles-t319619.html)

tinbren 11-29-2022 07:21 AM

thimbles

how do you purchase a thimble that fits? I have a lot of thimbles but when I try to use one it will not stay on my finger.
I find i am fighting with the thimble more than I am stitching

cashs_mom 11-29-2022 08:15 AM

I bought a couple thimbles from Bohin at Quilt Festival this year. They're the best thing since sliced bread! This the one I have

https://boutique.bohin.com/en/produc...e-souple-moyen

I've been doing a lot of EPP lately and this is the only thimble I've found that doesn't come off my finger when I'm working. I was so impressed after using it. I bought another one when I went back the next day.

Peckish 11-29-2022 08:27 AM

I think I own almost every thimble available on the market except for the one Cashsmom posted, which I'd like to try. I hate that most thimbles are round, because my fingers are not. I really like these leather thimbles that Clover makes, and I recently started using this stick-on thimble dot, it has double-sided sticky tape that holds the thimble dot on, very well I might add. I forgot I had it on, cooked dinner for my family and ate before I realized it was still there. 😆

My friend Cindi likes these stick-on thimble leather pads.

joe'smom 11-29-2022 08:37 AM

I have very squared off fingers, so I end up using one that is too large and it's constantly falling off. I've just learned to deal with it.

tranum 11-29-2022 08:46 AM

Question . . . I see people using thimbles on their middle finger but I always use my ring finger. I had to buy a “starter sewing kit” when I enrolled in Home Ec and evidently the thimble fit my ring finger. Am I the only one ?

Onebyone 11-29-2022 09:24 AM

I buy an inexpensive metal thimble and hit it with a hammer to make it oval. Stays on my finger until I take it off. I like the Clover silicone one but it will slip off after awhile from the warmth from the finger. Most do slip when your finger warms it up.

rryder 11-29-2022 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by tranum (Post 8577896)
Question . . . I see people using thimbles on their middle finger but I always use my ring finger. I had to buy a “starter sewing kit” when I enrolled in Home Ec and evidently the thimble fit my ring finger. Am I the only one ?

No, you're not alone. I use a thimble on my ring finger as well. I just never got the hang of sewing with one on my middle finger. I have a bunch of thimbles, all bought as part of used sewing lots on eBay. I find that different ones fit my finger depending on the temperature in my studio. On cold days I use a smaller one. Also, I prefer the metal ones because I can squish them to fit the shape of my finger-- they're not as attractive then, but they stay on.

Rob

quiltingcandy 11-29-2022 10:48 AM

I love TJ Lane Thimbles. They are sized. Since they are hand made with silver they are not cheap but worth every cent. Since my fingers tend to swell I have a few in different sizes. They display at quilt big quilt shows - so if you have an opportunity, please check them out. Their have a website also. Please don't let the prices turn you off - sometimes we need a special item like this. My first one was a big splurge, the next year I went back with the express desire for another one, so I could have one in a sewing basket that goes on trips and another to use at home. But now I have 4, and hope they will be at the Road to CA Show in January. They have other items available. I keep thinking I want a cage, but will see.

bearisgray 11-29-2022 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone (Post 8577899)
I buy an inexpensive metal thimble and hit it with a hammer to make it oval. Stays on my finger until I take it off. I like the Clover silicone one but it will slip off after awhile from the warmth from the finger. Most do slip when your finger warms it up.

That is what my Mom did to make her thimbles stay on. I think she lined one with bandage (that old white woven stuff) to help make it stay on.

Those old thimbles are still my favorites.

quiltedsunshine 11-29-2022 06:50 PM

Well... I never could use a traditional thimble. I tried the stick on dots, but felt like I had to aim for them. The leather ones are so bulky, they're just in the way. So I made my own Soft Suede Thimble. It's too small to stay on by itself, so I put a dab of washable glue stick on my finger to keep it on. It's the best thimble I've ever used. It's so small and light weight, I forget I have it on. It just feels natural. So I actually make them and sell them locally.