Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Thin Batting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/thin-batting-t313887.html)

lindaschipper 01-17-2021 09:05 AM

Thin Batting

I ordered a bolt of batting from Walmart back in the summer, nine yards x 96 wide. it's Pellon Nature's Touch. I know this is my second order of this, but this isn't as thick as the last one. The last two Project Linus Quilts turned out really thin and would only be suitable for a summer quilt (IMHO). Now I question using it again. It would be alright for table runners and mats, but I'm not making those. My question is would you try to double the batting? I really hate to waste it, but I want to be satisfied also. Or just go buy Warm and Natural for my quilts and carry on??

Tartan 01-17-2021 09:36 AM

I would use a double layer to use it up and then search out a thicker replacement.

dkh_memphis 01-17-2021 06:02 PM

It sounds like the product quality has really dropped, or you got a bad bolt, and I would see about returning it. Using a double layer could work, of course, but then you're essentially doubling what you paid for the batting. That's the kind of thing that would have me asking for a refund.

Snooze2978 01-18-2021 06:52 AM

I had bought a whole bolt of 120 x 30yd of Hobbs 80/20 or maybe it was 70/30, just know its a mixed. Had nothing but trouble with it. Thin in places, made a mess of my stitching in those spots. Before I knew this I had cut batting for all of my quilts that was hanging up waiting which is around 12 of them. I'd read reviews on this batting so thought I'd try it out but either I got a bad roll or its not for me. I'm going back to my Quilter's Dream mixed as I need their 120" wide for most of my quilts.

Think the lack of quality is starting to show in our sewing supplies though I know its been showing in some fabrics for years. Sad.

Irishrose2 01-18-2021 09:09 AM

That's why I stopped using Pellon Natural Touch. I liked the first three packages, then the next two were thinner.

Jordan 01-19-2021 05:31 AM

It might be best if you put 2 layers of the batting if it appears to be so thin. I feel that the quality of some items now a days are cutting back because of cost on how it is made.

Sheri.a 01-21-2021 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by Snooze2978 (Post 8453685)
I had bought a whole bolt of 120 x 30yd of Hobbs 80/20 or maybe it was 70/30, just know its a mixed. Had nothing but trouble with it. Thin in places, made a mess of my stitching in those spots. Before I knew this I had cut batting for all of my quilts that was hanging up waiting which is around 12 of them. I'd read reviews on this batting so thought I'd try it out but either I got a bad roll or its not for me.

About 5 years ago I purchased Hobbs Tuscany Wool batting king size and had spots that were not even. I took a picture of the batting and sent it to them and asked if it was normal. They replied that it was not and shipped me a new package. I use Hobbs a lot and have not had problems since.