Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Thin fabric need Help (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/thin-fabric-need-help-t151249.html)

quiltlady1941 09-07-2011 08:06 PM

My neice asked me if i could make a quilt for her using some of the fabric that was in her baby quilt. she is 37 years old and still sleeps with it...LOL..she told me that it goes with her everytime she goes to the hospital to have a baby or what ever. She gave it to me and some of the fabric is pretty bad but some still could be used.

My question is the fabric is very thin I guess from wear and being used. anyone know what I could do to this fabric so it would be stronger, she really wants some of the fabric in the quilt so she can see it,the color is still bright but way to thin.. thanks for your help....Carol

Painiacs 09-07-2011 08:09 PM

Can u appliqué parts of it onto another fabric? That would wor!

GrannieAnnie 09-07-2011 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by quiltlady1941
My neice asked me if i could make a quilt for her using some of the fabric that was in her baby quilt. she is 37 years old and still sleeps with it...LOL..she told me that it goes with her everytime she goes to the hospital to have a baby or what ever. She gave it to me and some of the fabric is pretty bad but some still could be used.

My question is the fabric is very thin I guess from wear and being used. anyone know what I could do to this fabric so it would be stronger, she really wants some of the fabric in the quilt so she can see it,the color is still bright but way to thin.. thanks for your help....Carol

What I'd do is simply cover the entire quilt with a some sort of sheer fabric, if you can find one thin enough to let the originals show thru.

auntpiggylpn 09-07-2011 08:16 PM

maybe you could use some lightweight or featherweight
iron-on interfacing on the back of the quilt top . . .

angiecub 09-07-2011 08:32 PM

I would try the woven fusible interfacing. It's like a thin cotton. The drawback is that it's somewhat expensive, so you might buy a little and try a small area first.

irishrose 09-07-2011 08:51 PM

I used lightweight fusible interfacing on some new fabric that was too thin after washing. It gave it just the right amount of body.

meemersmom 09-07-2011 11:07 PM

I repaired my friends daughter's Project Linus quilt (she was a preemie) that was in sad shape by completely taking apart and fusing all the pieces to lightweight interfacing and reassembling the pieces. Has held up to 4 years of weekly washings so far.

chairjogger 09-08-2011 12:24 AM

I have a talented friend we afectionately known as the "The Quilt Whisperer." She fixes these well loved treasures.

agree.. an iron on but thin stabilizer for embroidery will back the fabric nicely.. it comes in rolls.. hoping there are some well worn parts that can be salvaged and just boosted. not a whole quilt top..

good luck !

ckcowl 09-08-2011 03:43 AM

you can use a lightweight interfacing (available in fusable-or sew in) to add (body and substance) to the existing fabric- will also add stability and durability to help it last another 37 years :)

my daughter still has the one i made in 1976- when it became (thread bare) i told her to just toss it out- i would make a new quilt---OH NO!!! she could not do that- so i used a fusable stablizer- pressed to the back of the fabrics and made that quilt into a new quilt- with new batting and backing- but the (same old front)
she loves it- and it turned out better than it was in 1976 :)

SUZAG 09-08-2011 05:29 AM

I hope the person who made this is still alive to know how much she loves her quilt!