Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Think I need/want a new iron (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/think-i-need-want-new-iron-t211561.html)

mooshie 01-20-2013 09:43 PM

Think I need/want a new iron

My iron is just over 16 years old, and I guess I don't NEED a new one yet, this one still gets hot, but I do think it would be better to have a newer one for quilting.

But I've never bought an iron. I didn't buy the one I have. It was a Christmas gift (I did ask for one) from my parents the Christmas b-4 I graduated. I wanted one to take to college. This one has been through a lot. I'm pretty surprised it's still going actually!

Anyhow, what on Earth should I be looking for when looking for a new iron? I don't even know what's out there. Are there things I should avoid?
If you could get any iron which one would you choose and whY?

Thanks in advance for your input. :)

Chasing Hawk 01-20-2013 09:55 PM

My last iron I bought cost me 12 dollars. It's a Proctor Silex one. I don't use water in my irons, if I need some steam I spritz the fabric. Less chance for it to spit rusty colored water onto your white fabrics. It heats up well, I should know by the tiny burns on my wrists. I have owned a few of them they are good.
I have owned Black and Decker irons too, those are good ones also. Sunbeam is another.

I have heard horror stories here on this forum about Roweta irons. They seem to catch on fire at will. Now for a 100 dollar iron you should expect it to not do this.
Nothing you are going to buy nowadays will be as well built as your current one.

mighty 01-20-2013 09:57 PM

I have a Black and Decker cheepie, love it!

earthwalker 01-20-2013 10:33 PM

Don't forget no matter which brand you choose, make sure you have a "play" and see if the shape/weight is good for you. If it feels comfortable, that's half the battle. Price is not necessarily and indicator of quality....there are some great irons out there that don't cost the earth. I currently have a Philips and it is really efficient. Mine has a calc clean system which stops it gunking up with hard water and it also switches off automatically if left unattended (I am inclined to get distracted). I had a Rowenta and it behaved very badly - spewed "rusty" water and the bottom dropped off after about 2 years. I always tip the water out of the reservoir every time the iron is off for a long period or being put away in the cupboard.

Chasing Hawk is right.....nothing you buy new today will last as long as your current one. Unfortunately it's that way with every bit of household equipment.

Monroe 01-21-2013 12:33 AM

Skip Rowenta! My first one in the 90's had bad wiring problems after 2 years. Could have caught fire. I finally bought another about 5 years ago. After 2 years it started to spit and sputter. Not worth the cost. My very first iron was a Sunbeam or Hamilton Beach and lasted about 18 years. Now they last about 3 - 5 if I use steam. Research how long you have til the auto shut off kicks in. Nice safety feature, but is annoying since the iron seems to shut off a bit too often when I'm piecing. And ALWAYS unplug your iron when finished. They may be off, but there have been fires anyway. Looking forward to seeing input from other folks.

rush88888 01-21-2013 02:28 AM

we have an inexpensive black and decker with automatic shut-off. it works fine...steam or dry. we have been using it for quite some time.

earthwalker 01-21-2013 03:03 AM

Originally Posted by Monroe (Post 5801551)
Skip Rowenta! My first one in the 90's had bad wiring problems after 2 years. Could have caught fire. I finally bought another about 5 years ago. After 2 years it started to spit and sputter. Not worth the cost. My very first iron was a Sunbeam or Hamilton Beach and lasted about 18 years. Now they last about 3 - 5 if I use steam. Research how long you have til the auto shut off kicks in. Nice safety feature, but is annoying since the iron seems to shut off a bit too often when I'm piecing. And ALWAYS unplug your iron when finished. They may be off, but there have been fires anyway. Looking forward to seeing input from other folks.

Good reminder about unplugging....I should have mentioned that:)

hopetoquilt 01-21-2013 03:10 AM

1. There seems to be an inverse relationship between cost and quality. Price goes lower, quality goes higher.
2. Love the auto shut off.
3. Love the steam
4. Retractable cord is nice

NJ Quilter 01-21-2013 04:10 AM

I'm one of the few here that like my Rowenta. I've had 2 and both have lasted over 10 years each. First one died after one too many falls on the floor. Having said that, I would first say, find your budget that you want to spend. Yes, definitely check the 'feel/heft' of the iron. Old adage used to be 'the heavier the iron, the less work YOU have to do'. But that might not work for you. If you're going for steam, check the instructions regarding water BEFORE you get it home. Some require distilled water, others don't. It truly makes a difference in how long they will last. And ALWAYS unplug when you are done. Those little gremlins that tip them over when you're not home can easily flip that switch to 'on' when it tips/falls.

Yarn or Fabric 01-21-2013 04:18 AM

I bought a cheap Black and Decker several years ago at Walmart. A few of my friends liked it so much that they bought the same model and like theirs as well. This past spring my iron was acting up so I decided to replace it but I wanted higher wattage. I found this one on Walmart.com (also sold in my store. I picked it up the next day) and I love it. It is 1500 watts as compared to my original one.
I like it a lot - and it has a really long cord which is awesome! I love my new iron.
If you get it, be warned, they have plastic film over the sole plate.. don't get excited to iron and heat up your iron without taking it off.....