Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Think you 1/4" seam is 1/4"? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/think-you-1-4-seam-1-4-a-t265809.html)

Girlfriend 05-30-2015 04:20 PM

Are you sure it wasn't your cutting? There's only 2 mistakes errors can come from - cutting and/or sewing 1/4". If you are using precuts, never take for granted the error is in the sewing....

It doesn't matter if you are sewing a perfect 1/4" if your cutting is off.

mom-6 05-30-2015 05:37 PM

My 1/4" foot is wider than 1/4".
My walking foot is also wider than 1/4".
So I know the spot on each that gives me a consistent seam and eyeball it. May not be super accurate but seems to work for me.

Onebyone 05-31-2015 06:32 AM

Accurate cutting is a given. If you can't cut strips and have them all the same then you will have a problem no seam will fix. I use the Go for 99% of all my block shapes because my manual cutting makes me frustrated. I have the Alto Quilt 2, three sizes of the Shape Cut, and the new Stripology ruler. I still misscut. So it's die cuts for me for the initial cuts. I may use a specialty ruler to sub cut those for the shape I don't have a die for.

KalamaQuilts 05-31-2015 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by Girlfriend (Post 7211857)
Are you sure it wasn't your cutting? There's only 2 mistakes errors can come from - cutting and/or sewing 1/4". If you are using precuts, never take for granted the error is in the sewing....

It doesn't matter if you are sewing a perfect 1/4" if your cutting is off.

pressing before or after can cause shift also.

Dunster's post gets to the crux of the matter. If you are sloppy careless stitcher please do everyone a favor and don't do block swaps.
And that blocks with just one or a few pieces stitched to blocks with more pieces will never match up, regardless of how consistent you are. Quilts are totally based on knowing where the sweet spot is.

quiltingbuddy 05-31-2015 06:58 AM

I agree with Jan in Va, it really only matters if you're trading blocks with others, but it is really nice to have a true 1/4" seam.

newbee3 05-31-2015 07:11 AM

I would think even if your I/4 was off and you used the same thru the pieces should match sounds like it might be the cutting

Onebyone 05-31-2015 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by newbee3 (Post 7212352)
I would think even if your I/4 was off and you used the same thru the pieces should match sounds like it might be the cutting

I've tried the consistent any width seam. Doesn't work for me with points.

caspharm 05-31-2015 10:30 AM

I have a 1/4" foot for my Janome, but I was still having issues with it. I read somewhere that most of them are not really a true 1/4", despite the effort. I started using Bonnie Hunter's seam guide, and have been getting a more accurate 1/4".
I found the difference in end product when I was piecing the mystery BOM I am doing from my LQS. I started with my 1/4" foot and the finished strip sections ended up 1/8" too narrow, so I had to rip them out and resew them. I decided to try the seam guide (you then mark the edge - she suggests a hard edge like a cut up card. I use a Starbucks card) and they were spot on. I still have to watch, but it comes out better than using my 1/4" foot.

Onebyone 05-31-2015 11:03 AM

I used Bonnie's seam guide too but first you have to find your 1/4" by test sewing, then mark it. I use Command strips. Easy off and no residue.

donac 06-01-2015 03:04 AM

I just realized that my quarter inch foot is off by a twelfth of an inch for each seam.