Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Thinking about buying my first quilting machine... Any advice? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/thinking-about-buying-my-first-quilting-machine-any-advice-t204885.html)

Prism99 11-02-2012 10:02 PM

Very similar to how I got my used setup. Went to a quilt guild meeting and right there on the table was a stack of ads for the setup. Took one home and called her right away. We are in a rural area, so I think she was surprised to sell it so fast! But it was exactly the setup I was planning to buy online next year.

As for assessing quality, I had done a lot of online research first so I had narrowed it down already to this particular setup within my price range. When I called, the seller arranged for me to come out and try the system (it was all set up) and she also showed me some of the items she had quilted on it. She also offered to come to my house and give me some lessons on how to use it. There is so much information online, however, I don't think I will need that.

Edit: I can see, however, why people like to upgrade from a beginner setup. Just from fooling around, I can see the advantages to having a 24" or 28" arm. Maybe in another five years or so....... :eek:

annie123 11-03-2012 03:51 AM

there is a website called thehouseofhanson.com that lets people list their machines for sale. Yesterday there was a Voyageur 17 with a stitch regulator and a Hinterberg frame for $2500. It is in the Chicago area. I've not used this machine but several people here have good things to say about both the machine and the frame. Good luck in your search.

JNCT14 11-03-2012 03:52 AM

Another option (and Rhonda I think did an article on it) is the midarm selection. If you don't have the room for a frame and you don't want the learning curve of the long arm, a mid arm is a great option. I have a Babylock Quilter's Pro with a 9" throat that has some of the features that you don't get with a tradtional machine - they are a lot faster, they have the thread cutter which is unbelieveably useful, needle down, but the biggest thing is that the free motion ability is far superior to a short arm. I never need a walking foot on my machine - I drop the feed dogs and off I go - no puckering or bunching. A stitch regulator might be nice but I do just fine with the foot pedal. They run between $1000-$2000 depending on model and extra stitches. I have quilted queen size quilts with no trouble at all.

aab007 11-03-2012 05:46 AM

I am open to used. I live in south-central Wisconsin about 30 minutes outside of Madison.

An Arm Long 11-03-2012 06:11 AM

I think that 16 inch would be the minimum as any shorter arm would be frustrating. Mine is 18 inch and I have had no problem with any of the designs or pantographs I have tried. I also like the Grace Majestic frame. (That comes with the Bailey). I have a Baby Lock Crown Jewel (Same as HQ Avante) which is pricier than the Bailey but not as much as a Gammill. Haven't seen one used, but if you could find one, it is a terrific machine. Some of the new machines can be purchased with 0% financing.
A huge help is to attend a quilt show where you can try several different setups. It is important, though to find a dealer not too far from you.
I think the biggest help for me was the 4 day class offered by Baby Lock (8AM to 8PM). When I was done, I felt confident and was able to start right in to more difficult quilting.

aborning 11-03-2012 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by aab007 (Post 5631434)
I am open to used. I live in south-central Wisconsin about 30 minutes outside of Madison.

You can also go on the APQS Forum and look at the For Sale section. There are many used machines on there that are a good deal. Most of them are APQS but once in a while there is a HQ on there that is used and very reasonably priced. I would not hesitate to buy a used HQ--I have never heard any negative comments about the HQ's. I have a couple friends who own them and love them. I personally have an APQS that I bought new--simpler so I could finance it--but they are probably more money than you want to invest--unless you find a good deal on a used one..

cheryl222 11-04-2012 06:36 AM

I agree! Love mine and she is soooo right about the awesome customer service!

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan (Post 5629884)
this is a nice setup and their customer service is fantastic!
http://www.baileyssewingcenter.com/bahoqupro17p.html

aab007 11-04-2012 11:02 AM

I contacted the woman advertising this machine on houseofhanson.com and plan to go to look at the setup at the end of this week. She told me that Hinterberg was bought out by Nolting, so I'm a little concerned about support if any problems arise with the machine. Does anyone know anything about the support given by Nolting? Certainly the price is good, but support is important, too.

Solomae 11-04-2012 11:06 AM

Nolting has awesome customer service. They fully service and stand behind both the Nolting and Hinterberg products. You won't have any problems in that area...

knlsmith 11-04-2012 12:55 PM

I purchased my dealers Tin Lizzie 18LS model almost 2 years ago and also add the Quilt Magician robot to it this summer. I had a bit of a learning curve at first, but that's the case with anything a person buys.

Never really had any trouble and when I did it was taken care of by my dealer very well.

I do wish I had a metal frame instead of the wood frame. And get the biggest throat size you can afford. Mine is 18 and I am thinking about getting the Ansley 26 made by Tin Lizzie (with a metal frame this time.)

And don't forget, it takes practice and patience to learn a longarm. They are different than a regular sewing machine.

Good luck!