Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Thinking about longarm certification class in TX (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/thinking-about-longarm-certification-class-tx-t284015.html)

mkc 11-25-2016 12:15 PM

Thinking about longarm certification class in TX

I've been quilting for a few years and have been doing my own FMQ and walking foot quilting. I've considered a longarm, but just trying them at a show felt awkward. I noticed a couple places here in north Texas where you can take classes to get certified to rent time on a longarm, and I thought that might be a neat way to become more familiar, plus DH is asking for Christmas ideas...

I have both Connie Keller in Lewisville (APQS Texas) and Nanc Christopherson at LQ Academy in Ft. Worth (HandiQuilter) roughly 1/2 hour from my home near Denton. Would any fellow north Texans recommend one in particular for someone with no longarm (but a few years of FMQ experience) to learn the basics?

(as a note, we hope to be moving in the next year so I would put off any machine purchase until we're settled in our new state - I'm not looking for feedback on either as a machine dealer).

Thanks!

Michelle

Cari-in-Oly 11-25-2016 12:34 PM

I think if I were going to rent time on a long arm I'd want to take the classes for the brand of machine I was going to rent. While they're all similar, every machine has its differences. I ended up buying the brand of long arm I had played with the most.

Cari

Annaquilts 11-25-2016 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly (Post 7706054)
I think if I were going to rent time on a long arm I'd want to take the classes for the brand of machine I was going to rent. While they're all similar, every machine has its differences. I ended up buying the brand of long arm I had played with the most.

Cari

Yes, this is what came to my mind also. Could you else take classes at both places?

mkc 11-25-2016 02:16 PM

I'm actually not planning to rent anytime soon, just thinking it would be good to take a few lessons to see if I even like longarming and want to pursue a machine in the future. When I've tried them at quilt shows it's just been overwhelming with everyone milling about, watching, etc.

Kind of like when DH took some woodturning classes - they were taught on a much higher end lathe than he would ever buy, but learning the basics helped him figure out what he needed, what kind of projects he wanted to do, etc.

How do most people learn about longarms, whether they like them, want to get one, know enough to do proper test "drives" when it's time to buy, etc.?

bkay 11-25-2016 04:11 PM

Check out Urban Spools in Dallas. They aren't close to you, but within a reasonable distance. They have a longarm class which includes time on the machine. They rent machine time, but you have to take their class. I've not taken any classes from them, but they are my favorite quilt store. The folks there are great.

bkay

caspharm 11-25-2016 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by mkc (Post 7706098)
I'm actually not planning to rent anytime soon, just thinking it would be good to take a few lessons to see if I even like longarming and want to pursue a machine in the future. When I've tried them at quilt shows it's just been overwhelming with everyone milling about, watching, etc.

Kind of like when DH took some woodturning classes - they were taught on a much higher end lathe than he would ever buy, but learning the basics helped him figure out what he needed, what kind of projects he wanted to do, etc.

How do most people learn about longarms, whether they like them, want to get one, know enough to do proper test "drives" when it's time to buy, etc.?

I learned to longarm at my LQS. They had a class and then rented time after you qualified with the class. Their first machine was a Nolting with no stitch regulator. They later upgraded to a Gammill with no stitch regulator. After using those machines, we moved and I started looking for a machine. I tried many machines (particularly at large shows- which is a great place to try many machines). I tried a HandiQuilter, a Tin Lizzie at a dealer, and a couple of others.

As I was looking, someone suggested trying the Innova. I tried it and fell in love. It is made by a company that makes commercial quilting machines. It is made it in the US. (So is APQS.) I like the following about my Innova: it is relatively lightweight, it is very low maintenance, there is 24/7 phone support, it is easy to upgrade without having to buy a new head for most upgrades. FYI: They are based in Montgomery, Texas. They are reasonably priced.

Cari-in-Oly 11-25-2016 05:16 PM

[QUOTE=bkay;They have a longarm class which includes time on the machine. They rent machine time, but you have to take their class.

bkay[/QUOTE]Yes! This is what I was trying to think of earlier. Most places will want you to take their class to rent their machines.
I saw my first long arm at a sewing machine store several years ago. I was intrigued but at that time not much interested. As time went by I became more interested. As the arthritis in my hands began to rear its ugly head when trying to quilt larger quilts on my domestic machines the thought of moving the machine instead of fighting with the quilts under the machine started looking better and better. I started looking at different long arms, went to a big show and tried some out, tried out a couple at quilt shops that were for sale and finally took the plunge and bought a Handi Quilter Avante. I love the machine and my dealer. Help is always just a phone call away as she is close by.

Cari

mkc 11-25-2016 06:07 PM

Unfortunately my LQS doesn't have a longarm at the shop (but I do love them for fabric!), and I'm not researching brands or dealers and I'm not looking to rent (or circumvent the required classes before renting). I'm just trying to figure out how to best learn how to operate a longarm and understand setup, etc. so I can be better informed and then decide whether or not it's something I want to look into for the future (and if so, have the basic skills to do meaningful test drives if I choose to go that way).

Michelle

Peckish 11-25-2016 11:32 PM

I think instead of looking for particular named teachers, you'd probably be better off looking for beginning longarm classes. I know you said you're not interested in renting time on a longarm, but THOSE classes are ideal for what you're looking for. The teacher should teach you how to load it, how to adjust tension, what the machine's features are, some beginner quilting stitches and techniques, how to change the bobbin, etc. All of these lessons are invaluable for making a decision about whether you'd actually like the longarm process or not.

I've been taking classes as a way of test-driving new machines. You are right - testing them at shows doesn't really allow you to get a feel for the machine. Taking a class lets you put the machine through the paces, and you get to see how easy or difficult it is to do various tasks.

My personal recommendation is that you take a handful of beginning longarm classes from different teachers on different machines. Not all machines are the same, and you could have a bad experience on one machine or with one instructor that might turn you off from quilting altogether. So spread your exposure and have some fun!

feline fanatic 11-26-2016 07:50 AM

I agree with Peckish that the certification class is an ideal way to expose yourself to LA quilting. My first exposure to a LA was doing the certification to rent class at a shop over an hour away. It was a certification class on a handiquilter. It definitely gives you feel for if you will even like longarming. Usually they cover loading backing, top and batting on the frame then go over the basics of the machine (on, off, needle up down position, stop, go, etc). Then they usually have you try several techniques. In my class it included following a pattern design with a laser light (much like doing a panto, only it was just a small block pattern and we worked from the front of the machine) following a marked line (like a stencil), doing a little FMQ and we also got to try "groovy boards".

I would call each place that offers and ask the following questions:
Is the class all hands on
How many students per machine (in my class there were only two of us so we each shared the one machine head and got to practice each technique) Ideally the ratio is one person per machine but two is doable.
What things are covered in the class.

It really doesn't matter what machine you try this out on as you can try different machines at shows and if you seek out dealers in your area, many allow you to test drive the machines in their showroom without all the distractions and crowds of a major show. As I stated above my first class was on an HQ but I ended up buying an innova.