Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Thinking Ahead for Quilters Christmas Party (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/thinking-ahead-quilters-christmas-party-t225823.html)

Golfergal 07-14-2013 06:43 PM

Thinking Ahead for Quilters Christmas Party

I'm looking for game/party ideas for the Christmas Party for our Quilt group, 25 -30 women who meet weekly for quilting in our park in South Texas . We have done the Left - Right gift exchange, Strip Poker & Bingo. Does anyone have any suggestions of something different your group has done? I know this is NOT the season for thinking Christmas but thought if I could get some ideas in mind I may want to pick up a few things this summer.

Ruby the Quilter 07-14-2013 06:52 PM

Christmas Bingo is fun. You can order the cards from Oriental Trading and find them on the internet. The ladies group I belong to loved it. One time I took words out of "The Night Before Christmas" and put them in teams and gave them 3 minutes to fill in the blanks it was fun to see what words we couldn't figure out. I actually took lots of words out. The prizes are usually Christmas socks or Christmas kitchen towels. I need to be thinking of new games for our Christmas party.

ncsewer 07-14-2013 07:21 PM

We had everyone bring a childhood picture and made a poster. We all guessed on who they were. We had to hold a paper plate on our head and draw a Christmas tree. Divide into teams and wrap one partner as a Christmas gift.

bearisgray 07-14-2013 07:24 PM

Depending on the how old most of the members of your group are - how about forgoing any gift exchange among yourselves and contribute to local food shelves or some other local charity?

You could still play games and give modest prizes - but, again, this depends on your group.

postal packin' mama 07-14-2013 08:35 PM

Was the strip poker to do with fabric strips? tee hee Actually, how does it work? Maybe we'll try it at our Christmas brunch.

busy fingers 07-14-2013 11:59 PM

What about a sheet of paper with about 12 blocks on it and each block has to be named. The one with the most correct wins a prize.

ThreadsofTimeFab 07-15-2013 08:33 AM

Maybe some kind of quilting-related trivia game?

Golfergal 07-15-2013 01:07 PM

Each member wAS given 10 fabric strips 2 1/2" wide in a small brown paper sack.On each table was a deck of cards without jokers. They passed out 3 cards to each person(5-6 people to a table) each person threw a strip of fabric in the center & whoever had the best hand won all the strips that round. After 4 hands, the winner moved on to the next table. We counted A's -10 points, K's - 8, Q's - 6, J's - 4 , 2-9 as is. After 9 hands, whoever had the most strips was the winner..............everyone kept what you had. They had alot of fun with it & it didn't take to long to play that many hands. Only 1 lady wound with oly 1 strip to take home, most everyone else won more than one

cjsews 07-15-2013 01:20 PM

Someone in our guild found a Night Before Christmas poem related to quilting. Several of the quilt related words were put on paper slips. Strips were drawn out of a hat. As your word come up in the poem you got to pick a gift out of the pile. Wish I knew where the poem came from. It was quite cute.

Lori S 07-15-2013 01:55 PM

I would suggest quilters Jeopardy. Make up catagories like famous quilters, early quilt block patterns, quilting designs( for completed sandwiches), Quilt shops online, quilt shops local, Pre cuts and their names, Name that block, Popular fabrics lines( fusions, fossil fern, etc.) You get the idea.
Because the group is large separate them into teams , give each team a unique buzzer sound they have to make.