Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Thinking of buying a longarm (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/thinking-buying-longarm-t190445.html)

promenades 05-31-2012 04:54 AM

Thinking of buying a longarm

I am thinking about buying a long arm/mid arm quilter. I would like some input about some of the machines and the software (quilt cad etc.) I need a machine that will glide on the rails as I have Lupus, RA, As and such. I do want a machine that is dependable and so far the HD Avante and the Babylock Crown Jewel are looking pretty good to me price and so forth. Although no one will put the price of the Crown Jewel and the say the can not ship them as Babylock will not allow it. When I get on Babylocks web site contacting them does not look easy where as HD the phone # and such is right there. So could some of you give me some input on this.
:o
Thanks

feline fanatic 05-31-2012 06:31 AM

When you say HD, I assume you mean HQ (Handiquilter). It is definitely HQ that makes the Avante model. With your issues of RA and Lupus will you be capable of standing for several hours at a LA? Because you want a computer guided module I would not consider any purchase of any LA if I did not have dealer support to come to my home, set the machine up, guide me through initial operation with loading of quilt, lining up machine head for CG quilting, digitizing designs, threading, tension issues etc. This becomes even more critical with your health issues, especially with assembling the rack and ensuring the stitch regulator is making good contact with rails, etc. You avoid massive amounts of frustration with the support of a dealer (IMHO).

So perhaps more than bargain basement price you should consider the after purchase support, especially the hands on support a dealer offers. This may be why baby lock doesn't ship?? Have you even test driven any model of LA at all? Or tried taking a class to make sure you even like LAQ? It is a large investment to make, especially with the added computer guided setup, you are getting into the tens of thousands of dollars.

luvstoquilt301 05-31-2012 06:35 AM

Handi quilter makes the Jewel.

kristakz 05-31-2012 08:30 AM

I'm currently in the market too. As someone else said, my number one priority is location. I want a local service option, and someone who will setup the machine and offer training and classes/support for me. That unfortunately limits my options (looks like I'll get a Tin Lizzie probably). But I think those things are critical for a long-arm purchase, unless you are already familiar with all the ins and outs.

jlm5419 05-31-2012 08:32 AM

I have a 15" Bailey with stitch regulator. It glides easily on the rails of the Little Gracie II frame. Because of my fibromyalgia, I often sit to quilt, although I am thinking I want to modify the handles to make it easier. I would love a computer guided system, if I could afford it. Right now, it isn't in the budget.

If your budget allows, go for it, but make sure you have plenty of dealer support.

Xtgirl 05-31-2012 09:46 AM

I have RA too and I bought the Innova...it moves effortlessly...the other one that was in the running for me because of ease of movement was the a-1...I do have a computer guided machine but I also bought a drafting chair that allows me to sit up high if I need to be at the machine for long periods of time.

You will have a hard time finding pricing information unless you contact a local dealer for Babylock...they only really work through their dealers.

With your health issues I personally would not recommend the sit down machines in which you move the quilt to quilt...that is so hard on the hands...you didn't mention them but I wanted to just mention that as they would not work for me with my hand issues.

AliKat 05-31-2012 10:48 AM

I have arthritis too. I have an older HQ - the HQ16. If I could do it again I'd definitely get the HQ Avante. I have 2 local dealers [I do prefer one over the other though.

I upgraded my HQ16 a while ago and a friend had no trouble setting it up for me. I just 'borrow' friends and barter as much as I can.

HQ support via phone is awesome and easily available.

ali

BKrenning 05-31-2012 08:14 PM

It might help if we know the general area in which you live. Someone near you may know of an exceptional dealer nearby. For example, I live near St. Louis, MO and the best dealer I know of is Mike's Machine Shop in Highland, IL.

qwkslver 06-01-2012 04:40 AM

I just got a Sweet 16. It is my best purchase. I don't get to use it everyday but I really love it. I am sure you will find the machine you love and is just perfect for you. Enjoy!

IndianaJoan 06-23-2012 11:53 AM

I just joined today. I have a Grace frame and have been using my Janome 1600P. I am finding the throat to be too small. I have a little sewing business, using lots of embroidery. I have a Brother PR620. I need to come up with a machine to use on the Grace that quilts well and has the bigger throat (I'm thinking about 16-18".) I'd like to stay under $2000. I read about the Bailey 17 today. It sounds good. Does anyone have a better suggestion? Has anyone used the Grace with the Bailey? or something else? Thanks for the help! I've just retired from teaching (OH--I will miss it!) so need to add to my sewing fun so that I don't cry when the busses roll in Aug! Thanks