Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   thinking of buying a new machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/thinking-buying-new-machine-t296546.html)

Grandma Adele 04-27-2018 04:52 PM

thinking of buying a new machine

I want to sell two machines that I have and buy another that fits my needs better. I'm looking at the Husqvarna 865Q and the Husqvarna 860Q. The reason I'm leaning towards one of these machines is I have gotten quite used to the way the Husqvarna works from using my Designer I. I love my Designer I but I want a machine with a larger harp so I can start quilting on my own. Does anyone have either of these machines? If so, what do you think about it? I've also considered a Juki 2010Q because it seems to have an even larger harp both in height and width. I'm just not sure I would enjoy a machine with only a straight stitch. I must say though it's price is super. The two I want to sell are - a Husqvarna Designer I - a great machine but I don't like doing embroidery so it's got to go! - and a Janome 6600P - also a great machine but I want a machine with a larger harp.

TheMerkleFamily 04-27-2018 05:38 PM

I love my Juki but when I bought it I knew I would be buying a second machine. The Juki is a fantastic machine but most of us need more than just a straight stitch.

SusieQOH 04-27-2018 05:43 PM

My main machine is a Bernina but I bought that Juki you mentioned for FMQ and I loooove it!!!!!!!!! It's really helped me improve.

NJ Quilter 04-27-2018 05:46 PM

I'm a Husqrvana gal myself. I've had my Platinum for probably close to 15 years. I passed on the D1 because I was not in the least bit interested in embroidery.

I would go with that brand for exactly the reason you state - you are used to how they work. Plus, with a straight-stitch only machine, your options are extremely limited. You may want to quilt with a serpentine or other stitch and not have that option on the Juki....although they are a great brand, generally. I've not owned one but the commercial stitchers that I know all have them.

Just my 2 cents...from someone who does not machine quilt...yet, lol.

Austinite 04-27-2018 06:05 PM

I have the juki 2010 and it's not a secret that I love it. not sure what your budget is but if you have a need for more than straight stitches I might recommend the Janome 8200 or the 8900, they have bigger harps than the straight stitchers and they have multiple stitches. I almost bought a 8200 for the 12" harp size but I'm such a mechanical girl that I found it very intimidating.

thimblebug6000 04-28-2018 06:46 AM

I have the Husqvarna Sapphire 870Q and enjoy it. Staying with the same brand also helps to save on the cost of the extra feet you choose to use.

Onebyone 04-28-2018 09:15 AM

I have the Brother 1500 straight stitch. The straight stitch machines do one thing and designed to do it expertly. I have other machines for the decorative stitches, embroidery and extra features. I rather not rely on one machine to do it all.