Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Thinking of new machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/thinking-new-machine-t312026.html)

yellowwroses 08-04-2020 06:34 AM

Thinking of new machine

thinking of buying one more machine before hubby retires. Thinking of a berina 770Q . Already have viking diamond delux but it is getting old. Havebernina 440 and 550 but that one trading and 2 featherweights. If you have this machine can you tell me anything about it? Am thinking about embroidery attachment too.

thank you so much,
Judy

juliasb 08-04-2020 06:39 AM

I know nothing about Bernina except what DH tells me and he wants me to get the same 770Q. I too have 2 featherweights and a number of other machines almost to many to count now (14). So I tell DH I don't really need another one right now. Maybe someday. It sounds like a dream machine. I only wish I could tell you about it. I would always go for the embroidery attachement!

Iceblossom 08-04-2020 06:57 AM

My friend is a Bernina fan. I forget what she had before but she gave me her modern 820 "sewing computer" she never really liked and got the 770 instead and just loves it.

The 820 didn't go over well, many of them seem to have a number of issues. My friend's was not one of the lemons but she just never clicked with it, she did use it for several years before passing it down. I love it. I decided to learn all the new features and not just treat it like my old vintage machine and had to retrain myself. It did need a repair/cleaning recently, had a new thread sensor put in and it has been doing great since then.

I love the thread cutter, I see stories of other cutters that leave thread lengths or cut too short and stitches come undone, but I feel it is just right. I love the self threader. The bright light bar. The BSR (Bernina Stitch Regulator) plus the built in walking foot feature. That huge throat space. I use the knee bar for foot up/down but my friend never used that feature. I didn't see it on the features list, but the 820 let's me end with needle down by a tap on my foot pedal, I like that quite a lot too. While there are buttons, I don't see well enough to read them easily, I use my knee and foot and know which button is cut thread.

Downside -- I believe the 770 like the 820 has a specific proprietary bobbin, it is extra large but you cannot buy prewound bobbin thread. The bobbins are quick and easy to wind, They are (comparatively) expensive, don't know how many the machine comes with but I would want at least 10.

She also chose the non-embroidery option because she has a different brand of machines she uses for embroidery for a particular designer's designs.

Ladywingnut 08-04-2020 07:02 AM

I have the Bernina B770 Quilters Edition, Tula Pink, the main differences between the 2 machines, is that mine came with the embroidery unit. I have been sewing for over 40 years and bought my first embroidery machine in 2004. This machine that I have now is by far the best machine that I have ever owned. I bought it in mid December 2019, I just can't say enough what a wonderful machine it is! Right now, I have been laid off because of COVID, I sew probably 4 or 5 hours a day, the machine just handles everything bueatifuly! Bernina is having specials till mid August, you really should go give it a test ride. BTW, I too have more machines than is normal, I have the new Bernina 830, which is a finicky machine, Bernina Activia 230, a Pfaff 1471, Singer 301, (known as the featherweights big sister), Baby lock Serger and a Tin Lizzie long arm. Plus a collection of 40 or so antique machines that I think are just bueatiful! (It's a disease I tell you! I can't stop buying old machines!) Good luck with what you decide, but if you have the support of your husband telling you to buy it, what are you waiting for?!?! I told my husband that I bought my machine after I bought it, just saying...

Doggramma 08-04-2020 07:29 AM

I too have the 770 Tula Pink Bernina. This is supposed to be my last machine, but I said that about the 820, so we’ll see! I got this machine because of the embroidery attachment. It sews beautifully. The tension is always perfect. I’ve been doing quite a bit of raw edge applique with the blind hem stich. I keep white or cream thread always in the bobbin. With changing all the top thread colors (green, red, brown, etc) there is NO white pulling up to the top. I just love this machine. The only tricky part is getting the bobbin case back in after oiling it. There’s a magnet this pulls it in but it needs to be lined up just-so. I don’t do much FMQ on it because I also have the Q20. But a few smaller quilts quilted up beautifully on the 770 with the stitch regulator attachment. I also had to buy a separate spool holder for holding the big thread cones. But that was only about $30 for a Superior one on Amazon. I think you’d love this machine! I named mine Tula!

SusieQOH 08-04-2020 11:31 AM

Judy, I have the 770QE and it's fantastic! I have zero regrets buying it. It's amazing in every way.
I didn't get the embroidery unit because I didn't want it but can always add it if I change my mind.

quiltingshorttimer 08-04-2020 04:56 PM

I know absolutely zero about this machine (but my sis loves her 35 yr old Bernina) but took my Elna to the shop that handles my repairs today and they shared that they are having a very hard time getting new machines in because the machine "craze" during pandemic is still happening. she said she'd never seen anything like this--lots of people that have never sewn before buying new machines, supplies are low, and so many people coming in with machines (not bought there) that they don't know how to thread or use and wanting help. My typical turn around time when I take my machine in for a spa treatment is 4-10 days--was told today that I needed to expect a 4-6 Week turn around!
I then went to JoAnn's for some fusible,thread, fabric for masks and thin elastic--while I could get all, the thread selection was darn picked over! As Charles Dicken's said, "these are the best of time, these are the worst of times (for sewing!)

jmoore 08-05-2020 03:22 AM

Love, love my 770QE...I have never regretted spending the extra money on it compared to the price of other machines. I began quilting on a Janome 6600 and still use it often but the 770 is my “go to.”

There is a Bernina 700 series FB group if you have questions.

Austinite 08-05-2020 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingshorttimer (Post 8407707)
I know absolutely zero about this machine (but my sis loves her 35 yr old Bernina) but took my Elna to the shop that handles my repairs today and they shared that they are having a very hard time getting new machines in because the machine "craze" during pandemic is still happening. she said she'd never seen anything like this--lots of people that have never sewn before buying new machines, supplies are low, and so many people coming in with machines (not bought there) that they don't know how to thread or use and wanting help. My typical turn around time when I take my machine in for a spa treatment is 4-10 days--was told today that I needed to expect a 4-6 Week turn around!
I then went to JoAnn's for some fusible,thread, fabric for masks and thin elastic--while I could get all, the thread selection was darn picked over! As Charles Dicken's said, "these are the best of time, these are the worst of times (for sewing!)

I've been making masks like crazy and Lily's Flower Supply on Etsy has had tons of elastic in stock this whole crisis! Thought I would share, there's pretty much none available locally here.

bakermom 08-05-2020 08:35 AM

I don't own one but have used one several times in classes. It is an amazing machine.