Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Thinking Outside the Block Quilt - Need Ideas (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/thinking-outside-block-quilt-need-ideas-t206968.html)

maviskw 11-27-2012 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan (Post 5680645)
the quilt is beautiful... it doesn't look to square to me

The reason the quilt doesn't look square is because you are looking at it from above. It's called perspective. When you look down the railroad tracks, they seem to get closer together the farther down the tracks you look., but you know they don't. That's why the bottom of the quilt seems smaller than the top. It's farther away from you.

margie77072 11-27-2012 07:49 AM

I love your color choices. It's a great quilt. I also think I'd go with Kristakz's way of quilting it. It's a very unisex pattern.

Dollyo 11-27-2012 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by margie77072 (Post 5683100)
I love your color choices. It's a great quilt. I also think I'd go with Kristakz's way of quilting it. It's a very unisex pattern.

I like it, but it is more quilted than I like for this quilt. And may be past my abilities are at this time. I've done several years of pantos, but am really just getting started into FMQ. That's what I'm focusing on at this time. Also, this fabric is a little stiffer than I like. I'm afraid if I quilt it too much it wouldn't be something to cuddle up with. The two darker blues and the hot pink are the same fabric line and even though they have been washed several times, they just don't cuddle like I want.

kristakz 11-27-2012 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Dollyo (Post 5683147)
I like it, but it is more quilted than I like for this quilt. And may be past my abilities are at this time. I've done several years of pantos, but am really just getting started into FMQ. That's what I'm focusing on at this time. Also, this fabric is a little stiffer than I like. I'm afraid if I quilt it too much it wouldn't be something to cuddle up with. The two darker blues and the hot pink are the same fabric line and even though they have been washed several times, they just don't cuddle like I want.

Yes it is very heavily quilted - too much for me even. It was my first real quilt on my long arm, and I got a bit carried away :) If I were to do it again, I would do half (or even fewer) as many "rays" and make them wider. After washing it's better, but not as cuddly as I wanted.

I like the panto you picked, and I think it will be lovely. But depending on the scale, it looks like it may be pretty dense too from the picture you posted.

Dollyo 11-27-2012 10:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by kristakz (Post 5683292)
I like the panto you picked, and I think it will be lovely. But depending on the scale, it looks like it may be pretty dense too from the picture you posted.

The panto is 8". Here's a pic of the back of a table topper that I used it on.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]378837[/ATTACH]

nstitches4u 11-27-2012 06:05 PM

Your DGS will love it!

JNCT14 11-28-2012 05:32 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I made one in black, blue and white for my daughter. I kept the FMQ simple by using overlapping circles (I was worried about density). Here are 2 pics.

rj.neihart 11-28-2012 05:37 AM

Beautiful quilt! Love the colors too!

trolleystation 11-28-2012 12:13 PM

Wonderful quilt. Definietely needs some circles or curves to soften the angles.

jeank 11-28-2012 12:28 PM

I love your top. The colors are good. I am just putting binding on my outside the box quilt. I will post to QB when it gets done and photographed.