Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Those oh so funny remarks about quilting... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/those-oh-so-funny-remarks-about-quilting-t171441.html)

Quiltingthetownred 12-09-2011 01:56 AM

Those oh so funny remarks about quilting...

Hi everybody,

Do you know those "funny" or really funny remarks about quilting? Like, when you give a handmade quilt and tell that it's handmade: "Oh, financial times will get better".
Or, in my country, where quilting is far less well-known as in the US: quilting, aren't those that Scottish skirts?

Did you have those remarks you couldn't stop laughing or thinking about? They are sometimes too funny not to remember!

Have fun quilting!
Anymart/QuiltingSplinter

Diana Lynne 12-09-2011 02:43 AM

You can add the looks some will give as well :D..Sometimes I think homemade items are a thing of the past..Maybe we can add labels and hang a price sticker on them and than give it to them? :D..Diana

Dyan 12-09-2011 04:23 AM

A woman once told me "you could snag your toenail on those stitches" I had showed her a quilt I had lap quilted, I was proud but she shot me down quick. I still hand quilt and Yep you could still snag your toenail...lol Family and friends do not complain.

faykilgore 12-09-2011 04:34 AM

My dear late husband was very proud of my quilting, but after watching me hand quilting a project for awhile he finally couldn't stand it and asked, "Don't you have a sewing machine that will do that?" I've been asked that question several times since by people with even less understanding!

nhweaver 12-09-2011 04:34 AM

The quotes that get me are "oh, you quilt? you must have lots of free time, I am so busy that I could never find the time to be so crafty." and "How creative, I saw a quilt just like that one on sale in Home Goods." (this was a compliment?)

Originally Posted by Dyan (Post 4764954)
A woman once told me "you could snag your toenail on those stitches" I had showed her a quilt I had lap quilted, I was proud but she shot me down quick. I still hand quilt and Yep you could still snag your toenail...lol Family and friends do not complain.

nhweaver 12-09-2011 04:42 AM

I forgot the one from my mil (now deceased, and I hesitate to speak evil of those who are no longer with us), she was a phenominal seamstress and at times snippy, who critiqued my first grandbaby handquilted quilt that I made (at the baby shower), to my daughter when she opened the gift,she said "those stitches are so uneven, give me that "thing" and I will do it right!!!" It was my best effort at the time, my daughter thanked her, and went on opening the gifts. Everyone else at the shower was impressed with my efforts.

EmbQuilt 12-09-2011 04:42 AM

I've gotten the "oh I don't need another afghan, I have enough" (referring to a quilt) but then when they see the results being handed to a different family member, "oh I didn't think it was going to be that nice"!

ptquilts 12-09-2011 04:48 AM

my dear departed FIL (he WAS a sweetie) always called our quilts "blankets".
One time in my last house, which was big, I had laid out a wool top on the floor of the dining area, which did not have table/chairs in it. A contractor came in and walked across it, thinking it was a rug!! no harm done fortunately.

GingerK 12-09-2011 04:51 AM

You know, I must live in a bubble--a very nice bubble--because I have never had a negative comment--even for my first efforts. I do believe my DD thought I was nuts--until she saw the first baby quilt I made and claimed it for her first born, who was born 5 years later! Thanks for the morning smiles!

nabobw 12-09-2011 05:28 AM

How about the people who say they can buy a quilt like you are making for much cheaper at Wal-Mart.