Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   For those who have been to Bali- good places to buy batiks? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/those-who-have-been-bali-good-places-buy-batiks-t195325.html)

noveltyjunkie 07-21-2012 03:46 PM

For those who have been to Bali- good places to buy batiks?

I'm lucky enough to be planning a trip to Bali.
Of course I would love to buy some fabric while I am there.
Any recommendations? Ubud would be good- trying to keep out of Kuta.
Thanks!

Christine- 07-21-2012 04:51 PM

I'm reading the book "Batik Beauties - 18 stunning quilts". It says batiks have been made in Bali for centuries. I would imagine anywhere you go in Bali you'll find fabulous buys on batiks. Wish I was going with you!

Candace 07-21-2012 08:15 PM

I know several people use to make trips and fill up suitcases with batiks. That was before the airlines starting charging per bag:<

Jennja 07-21-2012 10:00 PM

I haven't personally been to these shops, but one of the girls from our group brought back some fantastic Jelly Rolls from here
Maju Store - Jalan Sulewesi - Shop #19
Aimen Textile - Jalan Sulewesi - Shop #93
My daughter has just returned from a trip to Bali and has purchased some Jelly Rolls and Fat 1/4's for me, she is posting them over from Melbourne. If there is an address attached to them I will pass it on to you.
Hope this helps as the Jelly Rolls are absolutely stunning as are the Fat 1/4's

noveltyjunkie 07-21-2012 10:28 PM

Thanks for those Jennja. Candace I'll have to check the small print on my air ticket- thanks for reminding me.

noveltyjunkie 08-22-2012 06:36 AM

Well I made it! I am here in Bali and today I went fabric shopping! Such fun, but did not find what I was looking for- no FQs anywhere, very little off the bolt at all. Most of the batik fabric is precut in 2metre lengths. And there are many, many patterns, most of which are not what we mean when we say batiks, even though they are very traditional. And the shop everyone recommended most was closed for Ramadan! Had a great time exploring though and bought some fabrics which claim to be hand dyed 100% cotton. Too pretty to cut up!

liont 08-22-2012 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by noveltyjunkie (Post 5458977)
Well I made it! I am here in Bali and today I went fabric shopping! Such fun, but did not find what I was looking for- no FQs anywhere, very little off the bolt at all. Most of the batik fabric is precut in 2metre lengths. And there are many, many patterns, most of which are not what we mean when we say batiks, even though they are very traditional. And the shop everyone recommended most was closed for Ramadan! Had a great time exploring though and bought some fabrics which claim to be hand dyed 100% cotton. Too pretty to cut up!

Yes, I know what you are talking about - the kind of batiks not commonly referred to by quilters.
They are usually worn as sarongs. Those are 100% cotton too, and can be made into quilts, although they are kind of all over and hard to cut. I've made a quilt out of those fabrics. They can be pretty, but busy:)

BellaBoo 08-22-2012 10:07 AM

I think the batiks we buy for quilting is manufactured for quilting, not the traditional batiks sold in most Bali vendor shops. The process is the same just on a much larger production scale. I found a long article online about batik fabric industry. It was very interesting.