Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   For those who sell their work.... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/those-who-sell-their-work-t171427.html)

LyraJean 12-08-2011 06:40 PM

For those who sell their work....

...I've decided that I'm going to open an online shop on Artfire. So I'm following there start up tutorial and working on getting sixty items for sale. The long term plan is to go to craft fairs as well.

I know there are other sellers and was wondering if you guys would share any suggestions or tips or just experiences you've had and learned from.

If this is in the wrong forum feel free to move.

Dina 12-08-2011 08:00 PM

I hate to just "view" and move on, but I know nothing about this. I hope you get some suggestions soon. Good luck with your new adventure!

Lori S 12-08-2011 08:43 PM

I do not sell on line . But I do sell at a few shows per year. I learned to pick my shows very carefully, do not shy away from juried shows, they typically have a very good following of buyers ( thats why they can be selective). Most of the best fall shows have their applications out in Jan and Feb .. so do not wait to get your applications.

Jim 12-08-2011 09:30 PM

do a search for this topic here on the board...you'll get lots of information...this question has been asked before...lots of ideas have been exchanged from a vast group of experienced crafters

Mary O 12-09-2011 03:27 AM

I started with craft shows this year.No one is buying just looking.Items under $10.00 went fast.The holiday shows do the best because they are looking for Christmas gifts.....Etsy and E-bay....Nothing went..... I.had quilted items.Quality work.....

ashlett 12-09-2011 03:58 AM

I take private commisions under my terms. I use our own web-site and am able to pick and choose what I take on as I like to have time to make Linus quilts.

ptquilts 12-09-2011 04:59 AM

Well I may be the wrong person to ask but I am wondering why not Etsy? I have heard of Etsy (for years) and am a member. I have just barely heard of Artfire. But like I say I may be the wrong person to ask, I don't get around much.

I do know I see Etsy mentioned a LOT in home decor magazines. I joined several years ago and was not impressed. I started again this year and am doing better. I joined a lot of circles, and favorited a lot of items, that seems to work for some reason but I don't know why.
A few times people put one of my items in a Treasury and then it sells.

I used to do craft fairs many years ago, they were hit or miss. Both kinds, the small cheapo $25 for a table, and the large, juried, $150 for a booth. Like Mary O said, small items do better than large. But have your best items there, large or small, and cards with your info for people to take. Good luck.

LyraJean 12-09-2011 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by Jim (Post 4764697)
do a search for this topic here on the board...you'll get lots of information...this question has been asked before...lots of ideas have been exchanged from a vast group of experienced crafters

Thanks I'll do that for sure. I just didn't have time to search last night.

LyraJean 12-09-2011 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by ptquilts (Post 4765040)
Well I may be the wrong person to ask but I am wondering why not Etsy? I have heard of Etsy (for years) and am a member. I have just barely heard of Artfire. But like I say I may be the wrong person to ask, I don't get around much.

I do know I see Etsy mentioned a LOT in home decor magazines. I joined several years ago and was not impressed. I started again this year and am doing better. I joined a lot of circles, and favorited a lot of items, that seems to work for some reason but I don't know why.
A few times people put one of my items in a Treasury and then it sells.

I used to do craft fairs many years ago, they were hit or miss. Both kinds, the small cheapo $25 for a table, and the large, juried, $150 for a booth. Like Mary O said, small items do better than large. But have your best items there, large or small, and cards with your info for people to take. Good luck.

I mostly decided with Artfire because it just one monthly fee. They don't take your items off after 4 months and don't charge any extra fees except the monthly payment. They also have a set up where I can create a page on Facebook and sell through there.

ghostrider 12-09-2011 11:17 AM

I want to thank you, LyraJean. Your questions and comments about Artfire made me take a second look at that site as an option to opening an Etsy shop. The grumbling that has been going on about changes at Etsy, the constant need to relist items to stay on top of the search lists, and several other factors were giving me second thoughts about that venue even before I saw your post, but now I'm going to investigate Artfire further as a definite possibility. So, thank you. http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/s...ic/biggrin.gif