Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   ? for those who spray baste (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/those-who-spray-baste-t241538.html)

quilt1950 02-19-2014 06:11 PM

? for those who spray baste

I am working on two quilts that I spray basted. I'm ready for the binding, and just cut off the excess backing and batting. The strips I cut off are wide enough to use in a scrap quilt, but they are sticky from the spray basting. What do you do with the backing and batting you have left over, that are sticky from the basting spray??

cathyvv 02-19-2014 06:22 PM

Good question. I usually don't have much leftover, as I scrimp on the extra backing and batting we're 'supposed' to use. Most of the time, it goes in the trash.

However, if you have fabric pieces that are truly wide/long enough to use in a scrap quilt, collect enough to fill a small mesh bag (like for lingerie), put the pieces in the mesh bag and wash the scraps in warm water on a gentle cycle. I've done this and did not have a lot of raveling fabric when I took it out of the lingerie bag. Then separate each piece and put it in the dryer as you normally would.

Otherwise, I don't see why you can't use it as is, except that it might be harder to manage or leave a residue on you needle plate.

I've never washing the with batting scraps, so can't speak to whether that's possible.

Onebyone 02-19-2014 06:24 PM

I toss it. I tried washing the excess and that was a mess.

Jeanne S 02-19-2014 06:38 PM

I use those sandwiched scraps for free motion quilting practice. But if you wanted to salvage the fabric, I would separate the layers, soak the fabric in the sink lay out flat to dry, iron and reuse it in another quilt.

tesspug 02-19-2014 06:46 PM

Depending on the size I use them for runners, table toppers and mug rugs. I just leave them basted and add the top.

quiltingcandy 02-19-2014 07:04 PM

I usually have more than 4 inches of batting and backing fabric extending beyond the top before I spray and rarely spray all the way to the edge. I pin closer to the edge. So I don't save the batting but I do save the backing.

Zinda 02-20-2014 03:55 AM

I typically follow quiltingcandy's recommendation. I like the idea of saving to practice or check the tension on my machine by stitching a little when I've had a problem with stitches.

toverly 02-20-2014 05:10 AM

I have saved and used the edges. Especially when it's a batik back. After a while, the stickiness goes away and it is just stiff like it has been starched. I just fold the sticky in on itself. I have also washed the fabric in a lingerie bag. I think it depends upon how much is sprayed. If it's a direct hit, you may want to toss it, a light over spray, it's doable.

Misty's Mom 02-20-2014 07:26 AM

I, too, just fold it in on itself. Later, just use it as usual. Never had any problems.

grammy Dwynn 02-20-2014 07:43 AM

Mine, usually 3-4", go into my scrap pile. I am a hoarder, when it comes to good usable fabric. :) I find that if I steam press (heavy with the steam), this helps dissipates the spray/sticky