Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Thoughts on Quilting Feathers with Invisible Thread (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/thoughts-quilting-feathers-invisible-thread-t180357.html)

pumpkinpatchquilter 02-23-2012 06:10 AM

Thoughts on Quilting Feathers with Invisible Thread

I have read conflicting advice and information on using invisible thread for quilting. I have attempted feathers with cotton and poly and am debating using a poly-monofilament invisible for heirloom feathers on a domestic sewing machine. What are your thoughts? The only thing I'm not nuts about is the "shininess" that poly-mono sometimes has...do you use invisible thread for feathers or micro-quilting or do you prefer something that is very close to the fabric you are using?

What do you prefer? Pictures and examples welcome and much appreciated!!! :)

pls1946 02-23-2012 06:17 AM

I have an older Elan machine and find the invisible thread difficult to use. I also do not like to mess much with my tension,etc. for fear of messing up the good stitching it does now. So I am of no help!

Hinterland 02-23-2012 06:29 AM

Sorry, I have no pictures, but I like using monofilament thread for feathers. Some quilters have trouble using it in their machines, but so long as you're confident about using it, then go ahead. The times I used it I didn't really worry about shininess, just that it did the job.

I've also used Superior Thread's Bottom Line, which is a thin polyester thread. And some day I'd like to try silk thread. However, since I'm a very dedicated hand quilter, a silk thread project will have to wait until I'm retired.

Janet

cmw0829 02-23-2012 06:36 AM

I used it for stitch in the ditch and thought it was too shiny (this was about ten years ago - so don't know if they've improved the thread). I can't imagine a more obvious design using it. I'd suggest trying it on a decently sized sample sandwich to see how you like it. Good luck.

amandasgramma 02-23-2012 06:39 AM

Sounds interesting. Superior has an excellent invisible thread. They have 2 "reduced sheen" invisibles -- one is a clear thread and the other is a smoky. The price is great, too....2200 yards for $7.99 plus shipping.

I'm using invisible clear on a quilt right now. The one hint Superior has is to loosen your top tension. Normally I quilt with regular thread and have the tension at 7-9 (on their tension gauge).....but with the invisible threads I drop it down to 2!!!! SO don't be afraid to REALLY drop the tension on the top to REALLY loose.

pumpkinpatchquilter 02-23-2012 06:42 AM

amandasgramma - thank you for the hint...any pictures of your current project? :) I actually HAVE that thread by Superior! Lol* That's what I was thinking about using...for my machine I generally have to drop the tension to a 1 and nearly 0 for traditional nylon invisible thread.

pocoellie 02-23-2012 07:55 AM

I won't use the poly filament thread, period, but it's a personal preference I believe.

amandasgramma 02-23-2012 07:56 AM

Pumpkin -- (hee hee love your "name") --- I'll be finishing the quilt this weekend, then I'll post it --- it's a doozy! Has taken me all month!! I'm using the regular clear Superior ----- you CAN see some sheen but standing back, you can't see it. LOL you know, like fine art -- stand back away from it!!! What I like about Superior's invis. thread -- you can put it in the dryer and you can iron it without it melting!!! LOVE it --- it's like a very fine thread.....so use a very fine thread on the bottom (I used King Tut -- 40# on this one -- but normally I would have used Sew Fine)

pumpkinpatchquilter 02-24-2012 05:18 AM

amandasgramma - thank you! ;) Oh I will be looking forward to seeing your quilt. Thank you for all of your advice and input, it is SO helpful! :)