Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Thoughts on quilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/thoughts-quilting-t260242.html)

hsquiltingmom 01-24-2015 05:40 PM

Thoughts on quilting

2 Attachment(s)
These are two quilts that I have ready for quilting. I will be doing them on my dsm machine. Thought of free motion in some way, but not sure what to do with them. The first is a four patch, and not sure what to do with the four patches or the larger square. The 2nd photo is just a patchwork, with a white border all the way around. I need some good ideas and what colors of threads would you use. I tend to get quilts to this point, and then they sit forever as I am unsure how to quilt it. Thanks.

pocoellie 01-24-2015 05:47 PM

I do a simple meandering on all of my quilts, I'm just not good enough to do all these fancy things, MAYBE one of these days. If figuring out what you should do as quilting, maybe meandering would be the thing to do for you, that way, the quilts get done.

BonnieI 01-24-2015 06:19 PM

They are adorable!

Tartan 01-24-2015 06:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Cute quilts! When I have a quilt with squares I like to FMQ the Orange Peel design using the seams as my guide. Orange Peel can be worked in one continuous manner without having to stop until you are done. This is the back of a placemat done in Orange peel.[ATTACH=CONFIG]507506[/ATTACH]

Cybrarian 01-24-2015 10:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The orange peel would be a great choice for the first quilt, with gently curving lines in the border. For the second quilt maybe straight lines on the diagonal- I would sew from corner to corner starting at the outside edge of one border all the way to the opposite outside edge of the other border like this. Depending on the size of the squares every other row of squares.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]507544[/ATTACH]

Old_Rosebud 01-25-2015 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 7062443)
Cute quilts! When I have a quilt with squares I like to FMQ the Orange Peel design using the seams as my guide. Orange Peel can be worked in one continuous manner without having to stop until you are done. This is the back of a placemat done in Orange peel.

Thanks for the picture! I really like this quilting and will have to try on my current work in progress!

Jitterbug 01-25-2015 06:59 AM

I've recently been trying free motion quilting. I've only been doing practice sandwiches until recently. I just completed except the binding a small quilt that will be given to a young girl who has lost both legs and to use in her lap in her wheelchair. I did loops or loop de loop style free motion over it.I did write her name, also words such as love,hope,faith, as I quilted within the loops. The front/ back fabric had black background with bright colors of flowers,peace signs,ect on it. I used red for top/bobbin for the quilting.Now, I am no where as good as that which I see here of others, but I am ok with what I did. It was fun to do. Loops weren't so hard to do either, and "writing the names, and words" was fun. Just offering another thought. Good luck with whatever you decide. I like your tops.

ManiacQuilter2 01-25-2015 09:46 AM

I would stitch diagonally thru the block doing what is called crosshatching. It is simple and you have the corners to guide you thru the process without marking.

GrammaNan 01-25-2015 12:22 PM

Love the range peel design. All ideas are great and worth trying. Cute quilts and best wishes getting them quilted.

Texas_Sue 01-26-2015 07:01 AM

I would do straight line quilting with a diagonal grid and on the first quilt in the plain squares I would try to do a freehand heart or star in the middle of the blocks.