Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   thread breakage while FMQ (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/thread-breakage-while-fmq-t233578.html)

Dolphyngyrl 10-29-2013 07:56 PM

thread breakage while FMQ

A couple weeks ago I set my machine up to play with my true stitch. This time I have same needle setting but now i am getting crazy thread breakage, could it be how I am moving the quilt

Prism99 10-29-2013 09:17 PM

There could be a small burr on the needle, or on the bobbin case or throat plate hole. Run your finger carefully over those surfaces to see if you can feel an imperfection. A tiny piece of lint or thread caught in the upper tension can cause thread breakage too.

Sheri.a 10-30-2013 04:27 AM

What thread and needle size are you using?

QuiltE 10-30-2013 04:29 AM

Yes it could be how you are moving the quilt.
Also could be the tension just needs to be different.

While you kept the settings the same, have you changed any of the variables?
eg. thread, batting type, different fabric, needle type/size etc.

Take both threads off and re-thread completely.
Sometimes while we think we have it threaded OK, there's something not threaded right!

Change needles ... try a different type and size.
Likewise thread ... try a different thread, and a different weight.

Beach Bum Quilter 10-30-2013 04:32 AM

Just out of curiosity, is this on your DreamWEaver? I haven't started any of that on mine but really look forward to it. Would like to get as much info on it's little sensitivies, etc. as I can.

Dolphyngyrl 10-30-2013 07:53 AM

No its the same sandwich, batting, needle thread. I was using a 14/90 and I even went up to a 16/100 but there seemed to be more shredding with the needle size. I did change the settings on the regulator as I was doing a different design. I am using sulky, but as I said last time I didn't have very much thread breakage

Originally Posted by QuiltE (Post 6376543)
Yes it could be how you are moving the quilt.
Also could be the tension just needs to be different.

While you kept the settings the same, have you changed any of the variables?
eg. thread, batting type, different fabric, needle type/size etc.

Take both threads off and re-thread completely.
Sometimes while we think we have it threaded OK, there's something not threaded right!

Change needles ... try a different type and size.
Likewise thread ... try a different thread, and a different weight.

Sally J 10-30-2013 08:01 AM

I had that problem but started using a Topstitch needle and no more problem. This needle has a larger eye so not as much tension on thread.

cashs_mom 10-30-2013 08:33 AM

My Bernina has done that a few times in the past. I usually have to loosen the upper tension and use a top stitch or embroidery needle. Of course, I always do the basic rethreading the top and cleaning the bobbin casing area and rethreading that, too, just in case I've done something wrong.

Jingle 10-30-2013 11:28 AM

I have had that, either I move the quilt at the wrong time, move too fast or found bad/weak places on the thread. I have changed needles and sizes, thread or just tried to get my timing of moving different. Most times I have no problems at all.