Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Thread Bubble? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/thread-bubble-t306133.html)

thatsjustkatie 08-04-2019 11:31 AM

Thread Bubble?

Another basic question that I probably would have learned had I took Home-Ec in high school LOL - This one is related to thread/stitching.

The best way I can explain it is like the machine is stitching just fine, but somehow there is also another string that somehow covers 5-6 stitches and just kind of hangs on top of the other stitches.

Is this potentially just a tension thing that I need to adjust - or something that I'm doing?

osewme 08-04-2019 11:50 AM

Well, I took Home-Ec in school & don't remember learning about this (of course that was 500 years ago...:D). It sounds like it may be a flaw in the thread. Seems like I've had that before where the thread has a piece where it's not twisted in with the other thread tightly.

Barb in Louisiana 08-04-2019 11:53 AM

Are you holding the ends when you start sewing? It may be the bobbin being pulled to the top.

sewbizgirl 08-04-2019 11:59 AM

Also if you are sewing fast with lots of starts and stops, the bobbin can rotate upon stopping and the tension mess up just as you described. There's a name for it that escapes me at the moment, but it can be fixed with a little flat metal insert that goes in your bobbin case before the bobbin goes in. Any shop that sells sewing machines should have them.

quiltingshorttimer 08-04-2019 06:13 PM

if you think it's bobbin backlash you can use Sew Genies in the bobbin case to prevent this. But one thing a person in the beginner class I help with found is that her thread spool was a "flat"wound and she was using a machine that had the horizontal spool pin--the thread kept catching and she ended up with weird stitches.

dunster 08-04-2019 06:15 PM

From the description it could be any of these things, or something else entirely. I think we could answer better with a picture.

Onebyone 08-05-2019 05:42 AM

This happens to me when I don't have both threads behind the needle and under the foot when I start sewing.

thatsjustkatie 08-05-2019 08:07 PM

@osewme - It was thread that was leftover from one of my mom's projects several years ago, so yeah, probably not the greatest quality at this point :p

@Barb in Louisiana - No, I don't hold the ends of the thread. I typically have enough excess thread that it just kind of drapes off to the side (The older machine doesn't have one of the extended tables/sewing surface)

@sewbizgirl - That's probably the most likely culprit, as this was my first big project and I was started/stopped fairly frequently.

@Onebyone - That's another likelihood and something I've caught happening quite a bit.

I'll be getting a new machine for my birthday in a few weeks, so I'm hesitant to buy anything else for this one - but I appreciate the advice!