Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Thread from Connecting Threads (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/thread-connecting-threads-t284408.html)

Kimarene 12-12-2016 09:50 AM

Thread from Connecting Threads

Good morning, all you quilters!

Have you used thread from Connecting Threads? It is so inexpensive compared to Aurifil thread, I am wondering how well it works for piecing and quilting.

Thanks!

zozee 12-12-2016 09:53 AM

I use it quite a bit. Good quality, great price. I've ordered the variegated also, which is a lot less expensive than name brand thread.

Ginger's Mom 12-12-2016 10:16 AM

Yes, I use their Essential cotton thread. I have a couple of their sets and 3 of the large cotton cones. I like it very much and use this thread on both of my Brother machines. And, if you're also wondering about their fabric, it's wonderful! I buy most all my quilting needs through Connecting Threads.

Patricia Drew 12-12-2016 10:49 AM

I use both their cotton and polyester threads, and I'm happy with both. I find that the cotton thread produces more lint than more expensive threads, but it's simply a matter of cleaning bobbin area more often.

I buy all my batting from CT. They have good sales regularly. Same thing for notions/tools.

Also, I find that the quality and choice of fabric has improved considerably over time. Prices are reasonable, and free shipping applies for orders over a certain amount.

pojo 12-12-2016 10:53 AM

I use the cotton thread no problems with it.

TexasSunshine 12-12-2016 11:19 AM

I use the large cones for piecing and LA quilting, good thread.

feline fanatic 12-12-2016 11:44 AM

I would stick with the Aurifil for piecing if I were you. I piece with aurifil 50wt but it is a 2 ply thread so much finer than the essential cotton by Connecting threads. If you are used to piecing with such a fine thread you probably won't like piecing with a heavier thread weight. But for the price of their thread, why don't you just order a spool to test it out.

I find it way too linty for my LA but have used it when it was the perfect color. It is a good thread for the price.

Cari-in-Oly 12-12-2016 11:48 AM

I've been using the essential cotton thread for years and have never had a problem with it. Since I'm used to it getting my good scant 1/4" seam is easy for me so when I tried Aurifil I didn't like it.

Cari

wesing 12-12-2016 11:53 AM

CT is all we use for piecing and quilting, and we love it. The only thing I would complain about is that the veriegated thread has very abrupt color changes, and the sections of each shade seem long compared to other threads. I have a quilt on the frame now using the grey, and it works for this particular quilt, but I would be very selective about using it for other quilts.

Jeanne S 12-12-2016 12:32 PM

I think you will find it quite a bit thicker and lintier than Aurifil or Gutermann. I have CT thread, had to order some because of the good prices, but don't particularly like it. However, My Juki does fine with it, I just have to take off the feed plates and brush out the lint a lot more often than with the other finer threads. But for the money I think it is just fine.