Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Thread Cost (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/thread-cost-t258017.html)

Skittl1321 12-10-2014 07:28 AM

My machine hated the metro, it made such terrible noises I thought I broke it! It didn't like sigma much more. I'm glad I tried just one spool before stocking up.

I ended up with the poly embroidery thread from Threadart as an inexpensive alternative to Isacord.

I use connecting threads essential for piecing.

Abby'smom 12-10-2014 10:06 AM

:) I like Gutterman's and so do my machines -- I get it at Joann's with coupons or when on sale -- I used to use C&C until the thread I got was linty

ploverwi2 12-10-2014 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Lilyfiona64 (Post 7002427)
patpitter the actual isacord website sells the spools for 3.95. Discount embroidery supplies also sells the apools for 3.95 - they offer free shipping on any size order too.

Is there a way to see their thread colors without clicking on all the numbers. However do you find a color?

Lilyfiona64 12-10-2014 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by ploverwi2 (Post 7002746)
Is there a way to see their thread colors without clicking on all the numbers. However do you find a color?

Search around online for isacord color chart. Then you will see all the colors and the number next to it so it's easier to find.

Onebyone 12-10-2014 11:20 AM

C&C thread is cost much more when broken down per yard. Many think it's cheaper. I have all brands except C&C. I don't like Star thread either but have some of that.

Lilyfiona64 12-10-2014 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone (Post 7002813)
C&C thread is cost much more when broken down per yard. Many think it's cheaper. I have all brands except C&C. I don't like Star thread either but have some of that.

Thank you!! My whole point of this point was to kind of display thread we think is "cheap" isn't and thread we thing is expensive really isn't. I also received some very good information about some new thread to try.

I do like aurifil for piecing and I think its a good price. I just need a thread for FMQ. I have some isacord thread because my machine is also an embroidery machine so I wanted a dual purpose thread.

I'm thinking I might look into connecting threads for FMQ or the aurifil 40wt.

PatPitter 12-10-2014 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Lilyfiona64 (Post 7002816)
Thank you!! My whole point of this point was to kind of display thread we think is "cheap" isn't and thread we thing is expensive really isn't.

I think there is also a cost associated with threads that don't work well in our machines, break a lot, and leave a lot of lint. I quilt for enjoyment. If my thread is constantly breaking then I'm not enjoying my hobby. This can make a person give up on a project (there's a cost to that).

Thanks for an interesting thread about thread!

Boston1954 12-10-2014 02:23 PM

I agree about the breakage issue. If I am not having fun, and start saying naughty words, then I have to take a break. I am very happy with my Connecting Threads. Have a number of colors, and use the "Antique" as my go to color for piecing.

Jan in VA 12-10-2014 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 (Post 7002384)
Sometimes you have to go with convenience. I stock up when I find Mettler Silk wrapped when I find it on sale. I have an older Bernina and I don't find using the larger spools or cones convenient. Not everything works for every quilter so what is important is what works best for you. I would never use the lower quality thread on my Bernina. Too much lint for me to have to clean !!

Hey Joellyn,
You do know that there's no silk in Mettler silk finished thread, right? It refers to the "finish" ON the thread rather the content IN the thread. Many are fooled by that.
Jan in VA

kindleaddict63 12-10-2014 10:37 PM

Any thoughts on the stuff Superior threads sell.... King Tut, Bottom Line etc?