Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Thread drawer (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/thread-drawer-t858.html)

triciasquilts 03-29-2007 06:31 PM

Patrice and Tim----You two just crack me up!!!!!

gr8tchr4u 04-03-2007 08:43 AM

Your drawer sounds like Kitty Paradise!

I use mostly Robison Anton thread for embroidery work, RA filament for quilting, and then Gutterman for regular sewing. The RA threads are small cones and most have a snap-bottom for those annoying loose threads. Gutterman has a little built-in thread holder at the top of the spool.

I keep my Gutterman in a small clear acrylic case (they lie flat prettly well so I can arrange them in shades and see exactly what I have.) The RA cones are kept in a clear oversize rubbermaid shoebox. I can easily fit 24 spools in a box. For some of the RA cones that don't have the snap bottom, I put a small piece of tape on the bottom and then just loop the loose thread under the edge. It holds it in place fairly well.

Growing up, my mum had one of those slanted thread hangers on the wall above her machine. I remember I didn't like it because of all the dust - not to mention the cat occasionally couldn't help herself and "oops" there went a spool every now and again. The bin method works for me quite well!

Please, please don't make me tell you how many bins I have...or spools...I don't know if I am strong enough to admit my addiction...MUST GO BUY MORE THREAD ! ! !

:P

Carla P 04-11-2007 08:23 PM

3 50 spool wall mounted racks, 2 desk drawers, and 4 of the biggest tackel boxes known to man... I use the florist as my source for spool nets as well, on all of my thread... it does stretch over time, but they're cheap to replace... FREE!! :lol: 8)

ceannastahr 04-12-2007 07:26 AM

My floralist keeps me well supplied with the netting. As a thank you gift for all the netting I made her an emborider wall hanging of the flowers of the month. She loved it and has it hanging on the wall by the cash register where everyone can see it.

Carla P 04-12-2007 09:07 AM

That is so sweet of you!!! (I just buy some flowers when I'm in there... Maybe I should do SOMETHING for her.) Thanks for reminding me about being nice. :oops:

carroll 04-12-2007 10:02 AM

Go to Hugo's amazing Wonder Tape (use your search engine) on internet. They sell this wonderful, reusable clear tape that you can cut to size and it sticks to itself. It is great to hold those threads wrapped around if you have a spool that doesn't have a notch.

Carla P 04-12-2007 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by k_jupiter
Thread dwarers? Tred drawereses?

Hell, I 'll admit my ignorance. I only have two color threads for piecing, off white and black. And I don't change in the middle something if I have the wrong thread in. Who's gonna see it anyway? I ain't never done none of that there fancy top stichin'.

That said, all the two colors of thread (Variegated Brown and Maroon Red) I have used for actually quilting, go in the top shelf dooha of the plastic tool box I use for a sewing box. I have one BIG spool of fine polyester thread for ditch quilting, it sits on the BIG thread adapter spool holder on my sewing table. All my bobbins go in the cute red box that came with the Mighty Bernina 830 or in one of theose round plastic bobbin holders for the Elna's bobbins. And you have only 4 bobbins for each, right?

Iffum you need more thread spool storage, go to the fishing section of your local Walmart (if they haven't downsized that department too) and get some lure cases. I am sure those will do the trick.

Call me simple,

tim in san jose

Tim, I LOVE the YBR quilt, but I must ask... Did you applique the feet to it?? :lol: (I don't remember there being feet in my YBR pattern???) :lol:

J/K Nice quilt top!!

mimisharon 04-12-2007 05:00 PM

Off topic, but Yvonne, is that a a star magnolia bloom? I have two of those shrubs and love love love them.

On topic, I bought a vinyl pegboard and the variety pegs for big and regular size spools. My threads are used, used, all the time. I'm either working on quilts or clothing. I'm tall and can't find everything to fit all the time that I like. So, thread is never hanging out long enough to get real dusty. and I have a place to see what needles, I have and need to replace, scissors, etc. etc.

Course, I have to fess up to a few spools under the desk, under the chair, and one or two under my shelves. If it begins to break or something........I've been known to throw it. :oops: You never know how old thread is that you buy and I do get aggravated once in awhile.

Sharon

Yvonne 04-13-2007 08:14 AM

Sharon,
That flower is called, "That flower that came with the house when we bought it!"

Star Magnolia sounds like a good name. It does have a magnolia like center. No fragrance though. I enjoy those bushes every spring. They are early bloomers and they bloom a lot. Also, that fact that they grow and I don't have to take care of them is a big plus! :lol: I've decided I do not have a green thumb!

mimisharon 04-13-2007 08:41 AM

Yep, that's a Star Magnolia shrub. They have blooms only in spring and then leaf out. I have one that hasn't found it's happy place to live and one that is taller than I am. They are both the same age. I think I should likely trim it down but oh, I love looking at those beautiful blooms in spring.

Green thumbs are developed. Read, try it, and enjoy it! lol lol
Sharon