Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Thread help please (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/thread-help-please-t97651.html)

Lori S 02-07-2011 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
I read a horror story on a gal's blog a while ago where she used serger thread for her piecing. Didn't realize that it was Nylon thread and melted it when she pressed the top. All of her piecing had to be redone. Make sure to test yours under the hot iron first.

The serger thread I buy at Jo Ann's the cheap stuff is polyester not nylon. I have never has it melt under normal circumstances. I did have it melt when my Rowents iron when haywire and just kept heating and heating but it also scorced the heck out of my fabric.

okiepastor 02-07-2011 04:27 PM

I often use bobbins wound from cones if just doing a smaller project. But one machine does NOT like it if I use a cone --holder or jar etc. so I use bobbins--wound and used 16 one day!

ERCOALIN 02-07-2011 04:30 PM

i looked into buying a thread holder,but they were to costly or too cheap looking (fall over), when i was at the thift store i saw a votle candle holder that was tall and curved it is metal and works perfect for a $1.00

gollytwo 02-07-2011 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Mesissy

Originally Posted by Izaquilter
get you a spool holder that sits off to the side of your sewing machine. It doesn't really have to be on your sewing machine, just make sure it goes thru all the tensions.

Thanks Iza............but what is a spool holder and where do i get it?

I had a spool holder and gave it way - too flimsy
I use a tall c.4" wide cookie can, have also used a coffee can.Find a way to have it go around your spool holder - it needs that extra tension spot to work optimally.
Someone on the Board awhile back told how to use the lower part of a large safety pin (the round loop at the base) Can't remember how she affixed the pin to the machine.

Farm Quilter 02-07-2011 04:46 PM

I have 2 of the cone holders for my sewing machines. One is plastic, light-weight, not my fav. The other has a metal base, very heavy and sturdy...doesn't tip over and allows me to use the cones which end up costing less per inch then the smaller spools.

Tink's Mom 02-07-2011 05:07 PM

I have one of the flimsy thread holders, too...I fixed it so that it doesn't tip over and not flimsy anymore.
I went into my hubby's work bench and found some metal washers...I put a few on the spindle and they fit inside the plastic thread spool. It stabilized everything...

BKrenning 02-07-2011 06:10 PM

I use a coffee mug sitting behind my machine. A very long nail driven into a piece of plywood would work also. Not as pretty as my coffee mug, though!

Holice 02-07-2011 06:34 PM

bend a large paperclip and tape it to the back of your machine and thread thru it. Works fine and no $$ invested

gollytwo 02-08-2011 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by Holice
bend a large paperclip and tape it to the back of your machine and thread thru it. Works fine and no $$ invested

great advice, which I will take.
Thank you

featherweight 02-08-2011 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by Holice

They also make a small plastic clip. I have it glued to all of my machines for a thread guide. They work awesome. I glue them on with "E 6000" glue and they stay forever.